Best Helmet?

· 10 · 2097

corvettedave

Best Helmet?
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:07:30 PM »
whats the best helmet for comp safari's?

cheers

dave

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: Best Helmet?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »
Phew.... that's like asking "what's the best engine" - loads of personal preferences!

A full-face helmet would keep the mud out your mouth & grit out your eyes
An open-face helmet is lighter, and gives you better visibility

Getting one with HANS clips saves you having to buy another helmet if you decide to go the HANS route

Do you want an intercom fitted?

piper5

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »
i would buy one with hans posts, i wouldnt be surprised if they become mandatory at some point, the msa have tightnend all sorts of rules lately

corvettedave

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:40:44 PM »
I was thinking about going with the Peltor G79 Intercom Open Face Helmet, comes with the hans posts, light weight, etc, not cheap tho, but very important piece of safety equipment

dave

Alan A

• Name: Alan Agnew
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »
I would say the majority of competitors in our comps are wearing Stilo helmets. I've got one and I'm delighted with it. Also helps that you can then plug into the intercom in lots of other cars, helpful when you need to borrow a navigator!

Xan

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:07:44 PM »
+1 for Stilo. Great lid!!

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 04:26:50 AM »
I've got an Arai Corsair RX-7 and love it, so comfy and the lining is fully removable - handy for cleaning and de-stinking it
"Lara" - 2001 Defender 110 Tomb Raider Edition

Sims

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »
I Have a Open face Stilo Helmet like Alan Agnews and got to say I like it, Find it comfortable! Would recommend it!

Number31

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 10:09:29 AM »
Get one that fits. Fit is more important than which brand. There is nothing more annoying than having a stinking headache all weekend because your helmet pushes on your brow!

Also if you intend wearing a fireproof balaclava take it with you when you try any helmets on.

When I tried  the new Peltor it seemed to fit better than the previous model for me, a large was fine where as I needed an xl before. Just shows that you need to try them on before you buy.

It was the same when buying my Arai, trying three the same size before being happy.

Number31.

corvettedave

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 03:19:08 PM »
I purchased a Peltor G79 Intercom Open Face Helmet with hans posts, fits great and worked well at last weekends comp, need to get a hans coller next

thanks for everyones thoughts

cheers

dave