6mm harness bracket - how am I suppose to make this??!

· 5 · 1219

Scott

• Name: Scott MacNab
6mm harness bracket - how am I suppose to make this??!
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »
Looking through the roll cage requirements these brackets look a nightmare to make, 6mm plate bent round a tube  ??? I think I need a blacksmiths! anyone know where these can be bought ready done??

ta :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: 6mm harness bracket - how am I suppose to make this??!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »
Not at all..... all you need is a welder, a hammer, and a decent butane/propane torch :)
..... oh - and I'd advise making a saddle to run a tag down each side of the rear stay, not just one side: for comps, you MUST have two separate mounting points for the two separate shoulder-straps (3-point harnesses are no longer allowed)

If you have a scrap bit of tube lying around, use it, rather than working on the main cage
  • Tack/clamp the mind-point of the saddle - try using a big vice as well as tacking.
  • Heat the plate until its glowing cherry-red, and tap it round with a nice meaty meaty hammer.
  • Keep working both sides, trying not to break the tack holding the steel in place.
Once you've made the saddle, you can shape it & get it in the right place on the rear-stay BEFORE welding it in place

(that's how I did mine, anyway :) )

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »
basic engineering skills

Scott

• Name: Scott MacNab
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »
Not at all..... all you need is a welder, a hammer, and a decent butane/propane torch :)
..... oh - and I'd advise making a saddle to run a tag down each side of the rear stay, not just one side: for comps, you MUST have two separate mounting points for the two separate shoulder-straps (3-point harnesses are no longer allowed)

If you have a scrap bit of tube lying around, use it, rather than working on the main cage
  • Tack/clamp the mind-point of the saddle - try using a big vice as well as tacking.
  • Heat the plate until its glowing cherry-red, and tap it round with a nice meaty meaty hammer.
  • Keep working both sides, trying not to break the tack holding the steel in place.
Once you've made the saddle, you can shape it & get it in the right place on the rear-stay BEFORE welding it in place

(that's how I did mine, anyway :) )

I shall try this once I find a torch big enough, will try next door

cheers :)

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 06:33:37 PM »
better with oxy/acetelen torch more heat