CCV vehicle??

· 8 · 1926

Brisca943

CCV vehicle??
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »
Well eventually got my hands on a 90 pickup.  Now the work begins.
   2.5 N/A Diesel

Wheels need to be sorted out as It looks like they have been put on the wrong way!!. 
Springs seem very hard so think I may need to change them.
Any advice would be grateful!? But dont really want to spend too much time on it just now as other projects on-going!

Have also collected an external cage for it so will get started on that during the week.

Is there a list for approved tyres?

Front grill is up for grabs if anybody want to make me an offer , or swap for something which may be of more use to me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: CCV vehicle??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:30:27 PM »
Dang... the MSA web-site is down, so I can't give you links.

The ALRC web site is not hugely helpful on CCV Vehicles (http://www.alrc.co.uk/new%20regulations/index.htm sections a, b, c, & f)

By MSA rules, tyres are from List 5 in Section L of the blue book (available on the MSA web site...  when its up)

The basics are: Proper roll cage (MSA, Section K); seatbelt (at least a lat-strap); match the silhuette of a 90 (up to the capping line); fire extinguisher.

Brisca943

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »
Thanks for the link to the website. 
The only thing that stands out at the moment is the rear crossmember as it has been replaced by a tubular type which does not keep the same flat profile as the original so I suspect that may be an issue. ??

Brisca943

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »
I guess for CCV's you require soft ( off road) springs ?

Pilot Custard

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »
I guess for CCV's you require soft ( off road) springs ?
Not particularly..... 90's are pretty capable as they come...

Spring choice is a topic that can get people "discussing" for hours  ;)

It basically comes down to a balance of three things:
  • Articulation (how much the axles can move about under the car & maintain traction)
  • Center of gravity (spring-lifts give you more articulation, but raise the center of gravity - side-slopes are fun!)
  • Visibility (how much you can see immediately around the car - when is something about to hit a cane!)

I used to trial an 80" Land Rover.... on bog-standard (narrow) springs. I even won a trial once
[and leafers still compete in trials, and leafers can still win trials]

The thing that made the biggest difference was actually switching to gas shockers rather than the standard oil ones...

Pilot Custard

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:59:53 AM »
The only thing that stands out at the moment is the rear crossmember as it has been replaced by a tubular type which does not keep the same flat profile as the original so I suspect that may be an issue. ??
For an event or two, people won't mind too much.
Once you are "a competitor", then yes.... it could cause "issues"

MSA web site is back up:
Primary reference is Section P: http://msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/12/217_254_Specific_Regulations_for_Cross_Country_Events_(P).pdf
Roll Cage & stuff is Section K: http://msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/12/150_186_Common_Regulations_for_Competitors_(Safety)_(K).pdf
Tyre list is Section L: http://msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/12/187_196_Common_Regulations_for_Permitted_Tyres_(L).pdf
Roll cage & stuff

(Happy reading ;) )

Brisca943

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:47:52 AM »
Had a ggod few offers for the grill/ headlight surrounds , so thought the fairest way was the good old Ebay. So has been listed now if anybody is interested.

Thanks

Item number: 160727870346

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
Lovely motor , sure you will enjoy ,,,,,