disco 1 water leak

· 5 · 1251

Gibby

disco 1 water leak
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:27:31 PM »
Hi all,
am a newbie on here and this is ma first post so please be gentle  :)
am looking for some technical help, av only had my disco 1 for 4 month and found its got a really bad water leak at the rear at the windows, its not got a sunroof,  a looked at the windows on the roof and found the seals were cracked and perished so av sealed them and hought a had fixed it but then a was getting water on the storage cover, so stripped out the rear trims where the speakers are and water tested it and found it leaking from between the 2 windows at the seem, a will try to upload photos
just looking to see if anybody has had this and the fix, me thinks it might be the roof rack rails/gutters but cant see any obvious damage

any info would be greatly appriecated

cheers gibby

http://s1079.photobucket.com/albums/w520/markgibson25/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:43:57 PM by Gibby »

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: disco 1 water leak
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »
Has the metal corroded and forced the rubber seam ? Might be a strip out, sand and clean-up would solve it in that case.

If the rubber has fine cracks then a product like "Captain Tollies Leak Seal" might work. Bigger cracks then black silicone sealant ?  An auto-factor will alos sell a non-setting compound for fitting windscreens. That works well when squidged into the window rubbers before replacing the glass.

Good luck !

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Gibby

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:17:58 PM »
Hi there,
it doesnt appear to be coming from the seals from either windows, its dripping out the box section between the windows, so a dont understand how it can get in and am hoping to get it at least water tight for the grr on the 19th :)    which would be my first outing

cheers gibby

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:49:32 PM »
Could there be a gap between the panels ?   If we ever got a dry day you could test for the source by pouring water on one area at a time. Problem is it could be travelling a long way along a box section before re-emerging. Bit of a Nightmare. I've seen a similar leak on a 90 solved by re-sealing the whole of the gutter with non-setting mastic.

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Gibby

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:32:43 AM »
That sounds like a plan a think a will just seal it today or tomorrow

thanks guys