rules around steering columns?

· 5 · 1775

corvettedave

rules around steering columns?
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
I was considering welding on a boss onto my steering column, to allow the use of a removable steering wheel, any rules around this in the comp safari racing

cheers

dave

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
Re: rules around steering columns?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
I had a wee look at this because from memory (long time ago) I had faint recollection that you were not allowed to weld any of the steering components (apart from adding strength) See quote from regulations below. I may be wrong so do not take my word for it check with scrutineer. But at least you are forewarned there may be a problem welding a boss on.

B.6.      STEERING & AXLES.
B.6.1.   Steering linkage rods may be sleeved or have extra material bolted to them for additional strength. Any sleeves must be made in such a way that they can easily be removed at the Scrutineers request to enable examination of the contained part(s). (For the avoidance of doubt, steering gear parts may not be welded after original manufacture.)
B.6.2.   High strength one-piece non-Rover steering rods are allowed. Locking of these will be by the use of lock nuts, not clamps.
B.6.3.   Axle casings may have strengthening material welded to them.
B.6.4.   Series I, II & III steering boxes and axles may be interchanged to an improved specification (i.e. late items to early vehicles only), points of attachment being strengthened where necessary.
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

piper5

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »
you can buy a bolt on steering boss with quick release for a defender

eblag  200690073540

corvettedave

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:50:49 PM »
that looks interesting, Ive got a bare colunm, I can see the spline, do you think that kit will work with just a bare colunm, next issue is, need to work if my colunm has 36 splines or not. I think its a discovery 1 or 2 colunm

cheers

dave

corvettedave

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »
but ive measured the spline part of the column, its 16.8mm, the discoverys 1 are ment to be around 14mm, with a 29 splines

dave