90 fusebox replacement ?

· 8 · 1733

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
90 fusebox replacement ?
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:06:33 AM »
The fuse box, the bit that actually holds the fuses, on my 90 is playing up, probably due to a bit of melting prior to my rebuild... Several fuses, notably the N/S side lights and Heater (!!) ones just rattle about and are therefore temperamental, causing chillyness and unwanted attention from Plod.

Being a simple soul I thought this would be a simple thing to replace, a few quid for the part and a bit of swearing while wrestling with the connectors on the back. Somewhat surprised to find that the fusebox is actually part of the main harness and not available as a seperate part.

Thoughts, Ideas, Solutions ?

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
Re: 90 fusebox replacement ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »
Cut the affected wires at back of box put spade connectors on and mount fuse externaly of fuse box. thats what i did.

Hope this helps .

Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

allen

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:36:45 AM »
i done the same cheap fix  :)

genem

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:49:04 AM »
Looks like that might be a plan..... The heater cut out again tonight, 80 miles from home. This, about an hour after a helpful Plod pointed out that the N/s sidelights were out, which also takes out the number-plate. :-(

bobby

• www.gemm4x4.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »
get an muilty blade fuse box to take away 5-6 off the fuses and screw it it to the mounting plate
We drive the landrovers, we brake the landrovers, I fix the landrovers. GEMM 4X4 LTD workshop@gemm4x4.co.uk,, slrocchairman at gmail.com

piper5

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
i have done 2 different options
first one was replaced with a new fuse box from vehicle wiring products
second one was i used a dremel mini drill and polished/cleaned all the fuse holders and fitted new fuses to the existing fuse box, i found that the contacts were just tarnished

genem

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
Investigated behind the fuse box and there is no sign of damage. Looking more closely at the fuse holders themselves it seems that the heater one has overheated at some point, resulting in one part of the clip melting its way to the left a couple of mm. putting a fuse in "normally" has meant that the fuse is correctly mounted at the top but is running down the left side of the bottom contact - hence the dodgy contact. Getting a fuse to sit properly in the contacts means tilting the fuse a bit and squashing it in - lets see if that is a fix.

The sidelight fuse holders look as if they are just stretched, so the fuse rattles about rather than being gripped properly. No movement when I tried to tighten them up, so I've bodged a fuse by twisting the blades a bit, so its "wider".

If that does not work then its time for an after-market fuse holder.

Thanks for the ideas !   

Rural rebel

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 07:54:49 PM »
Sounds like quite the fix genem, 'For those who've done well, Well Done!'