anyone found a plug in 12v heater that actually works?

· 8 · 2260

Maxxed_Ross

anyone found a plug in 12v heater that actually works?
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:03:11 PM »
As in the title, has anyone bought one of those plug in heaters that is actually any good?

I've been using an old 150w ceramic job recently as my heater blower was gubbed - but now its packed in too. Although I've now fixed the blower (not as bad a job as I thought it was going to be actually!) I would still like to have an extra cabin heater with winter coming up.

I've looked into diesel heaters but that is waaaay out of my budget. Under ?50 would be ideal
"Lara" - 2001 Defender 110 Tomb Raider Edition

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: anyone found a plug in 12v heater that actually works?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:07:14 PM »
The odds on anything powered by 12v having the oomph to warm the cab while competing with all the possible ways that warm air will leak out ...... no chance.

Buy a jumper and some gloves.

;D
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Graham

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:44:42 AM »
If you did find a 12V heater that worked, it would melt your wiring. And if it didn't melt your wiring it'd flatten your battery. Landy electrics - or any car electrics - simply cannot supply the power needed by a useful heater, and even if they could, converting engine output to electricity to heat would be hopelessly inefficient when you have a whole load of surplus heat being dissipated by the radiator.

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:10:07 AM »
Don't waste your money. I got one last winter as the yota had more ice inside than out some mornings. I would have got more warm air breaking wind at the windscreen.

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »
LR has just launched a new (to LR, but I believe some other cars have them) style Positive Temperature Coefficient heater (PTC! and don't ask because i don't know, but you can Google it!) ceramic heater that is designed to fit into a car and run off 12v circuits. It gives instant heat and lots and lots of it in my Evoque, it doesn't need the engine to warm up first as it is electric not coolant powered and gives heat from first turn of the key. Might be possible to make one fit a Defender, but also I suspect it might be out of budget. Also there are only 100 Evoques registered to private buyers in the UK 6 weeks after launch.............. not too many have reached the scrappy's yet
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
Ok thanks lads. I did find a caravan heater that was marketed landy owners, but at ?80 I didn't want to find out it was hopeless.

I don't mind the cold, but the girlfriend does

Graeme

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »
i take it the evoques are selling like hot cakes then :D

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 10:10:53 PM »
If the base one was a sensible price I would have one in a second