Had a lift done? - Fitted new bump stops?

· 5 · 1465

Malc

Had a lift done? - Fitted new bump stops?
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »
Hi all, was fitting some rear dislocation cones yesterday and noticed one of my rear shocks is leaking oil. On closer inspection the top mount point is a bit bent also. So its been bottoming out before the bump stop hits the axle. Bought the vehicle with the lift already done, but no extended bump stops were fitted. Ah well, gives me a job for next weekend  ::)
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

konads

Re: Had a lift done? - Fitted new bump stops?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:08:02 AM »
Interesting point, a lot of people seem to ignore this.

Theres never any info on compressed/extended length when you go to buy aftermarket shocks though, which seems a bit weird. If you were looking for articulation you could then go for those with the longest stroke, and of course make sure that at full compression it bottoms out on the bump stop not the shock.

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 08:30:51 AM »
Terrafirma do top mounts that apparently give 2" more travel, but don't ask me how they do it lol

My 90 hybrid has a 1" body lift. Gives the same look but saves messing about with the suspension.
"Lara" - 2001 Defender 110 Tomb Raider Edition

Malc

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:14:51 PM »
The terrafirma ones seem to work by dropping the shock downward. This would then give even less upward movement. It does say to fit bump stop spacers if using those. I take it that if you have a lift and then use the lowered top mount that there would be a risk of bottoming out even if you had extended bump stops fitted. In other words it sacrifices upwards range to give more downwards range.  ???
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:33:51 AM »
Depends on the dampers you get..... some will cope with the extended range, and some won't.