Rear wiper motor

· 8 · 1957

Rural rebel

Rear wiper motor
« on: August 27, 2011, 09:01:37 PM »
Hi, anyone know if the rear wiper motor from a 300Tdi Disco will fit a TD5 Disco?

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Rear wiper motor
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 09:38:09 PM »
Its probably worth having a look - I've got a Disco wiper motor in my 90 ( Thanks Duncan !) - the basic motor was the same but the fixtures were different, just had to strip them off and swap them over. Try looking on ebay, might find photos of the two to compare ?
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Gary

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:45:03 PM »
According to everything I've read, they are the same thing DLB101640.
MM6GRG
TD5 Discovery

Rural rebel

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 08:13:44 AM »
It's the plastic 'corkscrew' part that's worn out. I was looking on eBay last night and the look pretty much the same, just thought I'd check before I bought, thanks for the input chaps.

Gary

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 10:01:21 PM »
It's the plastic 'corkscrew' part that's worn out.

I've just had to replace mine. Same thing had gone. Plastic gears - not the best idea LR ever had!
MM6GRG
TD5 Discovery

Rural rebel

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 06:57:06 AM »
Yeah a cynical man might wonder if they engineered 'faults' into the design process, just to make a wee bit more money? Since buying the Disco 2 i've undertaken numerous jobs that have been far more involved than they ever needed to be, for example, changing the headlight/sidelight/indicator bulbs was an epic struggle, that involved taking the bloody grill off, as well as 3 of 4 bolts shearing as soon as any pressure was put on them! Cue much cursing and swearing!

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 01:31:58 PM »
Modern vehicle design is certainly not based around making basic maintenance easy. To change a fuse in my wifes van the Citroen handbook actually states that you have to take the fusebox off the bulhead in order to remove its lid ! - and even then you cannot reach the locking clip on the far side. My Golf handbook has changing headlamp bulbs down as a "Volkswagen Technician" job. A modern Landrover ploy is to require any number of "special tools" to do a job. Another annoyance is the requirement to buy a whole assembly instead of replacing some small part of it - blown seal on the power-steering = new ?1400 steering rack according to Citroen !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Rural rebel

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 05:00:28 PM »
Totally agree, the wheel bearing fiasco on the Disco 2 being a prime example.