Td5 Steering Box

· 5 · 1152

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
Td5 Steering Box
« on: April 17, 2011, 05:47:20 PM »
The steering box on my Disco 2 is leaking, passed its MoT last week . I`m now thinking on fitting a new or recon one.
Anyone had any issus about new or recon
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

sandman77

Re: Td5 Steering Box
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:12:02 PM »
I fitted a recon one from paddocks about 6 months ago and no problems to report so far.  I have heard stories of recon ones leaking again within a month but I cant complain about mine.  It has a 12 month warranty too.  From memory it was about ?150 as an exchange unit.

coolcamper55

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:56:39 PM »
I did the same with Paddocks, was fine also ordered the drop arm as it saved taking the old one off, its a sod to get off the old box.

Putting it back in is a two man job as the bleeder weights about 20Kgs and trying to support the weight while locating the bolts is a bit of hard work.
One particular pain was getting the fluid feed pipe back in it took me the best part of an hour as the pipe is very difficult to get lined up straight so that the threads catch.

Good luck a couple of hours should see it done.

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:07:52 AM »
Looking at the manual it looks like the pipes are held in by a clamping plate is this the case.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

sandman77

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:11:23 PM »
Looking at the manual it looks like the pipes are held in by a clamping plate is this the case.

Yes, thats right, didnt pose a problem for me (must have got lucky).