Freelander Head Gasket

· 5 · 1511

gary1968

Freelander Head Gasket
« on: March 06, 2011, 06:28:32 PM »
Just replaced the HG on my Freelander with help from TommyB, cheers mate....  ;D
We stripped the head off last weekend, it has been away and pressure tested, skimmed etc. It has been rebuilt with a new water pump and a remote thermostat, new cam belt and tensioner....
I started the car today, let her heat up to normal temp then switched it of to cool completely. Apparently MLS gaskets have a heat activated bonding agent that requires this.
Hopefully this is the end of HG probs for this car and I can get down to playing in it, Tom make sure you have ropes etc coz no doubt I will get it stuck somewhere and need a pull out, lol.......

Gaz

Scott110

Re: Freelander Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 07:15:46 PM »
. Apparently MLS gaskets have a heat activated bonding agent that requires this.
Gaz

I heard of this process usually results in a fradulant  insurance claim...think its commonly know as setting fire to ones motor ;D  lol lol sorry could not help myself.

1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

gary1968

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:05:16 AM »
Now, now Scott, Landies are inherantly unreliable, the Freelander just takes it to another level,  ::). We all love our landies hence we spend time and money keeping them on the road. If that weren't the case there would be none of the old series Landies still running.
I just hope this is the end of major repairs to my Freebie, there are still some minor issues to sort out, in time I will get to them.
It seems to me that all other Landies are prone to rust, I have had 1 300tdi disco and 1 td5 disco so know about the rust issues with them. RRC's are prone to rust, as are Defenders.......... however, all of the above are mechanically bomb proof.
The Freebie on the other hand is pretty much rust free, its just that they are mechanically s##t.  ;D
I wonder when Land Rover will get their act together and make a car that.....

1) doesn't rust
2) is machanically sound
&
3) doesn't let water in...... lol

Gaz

Scott110

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:18:08 PM »
Actually you are spot on landys are unreliable but in a predictable way if thats a word. You know something is gona die but being a landy you can ring evry last bit of life out of the problem befor it goes bang. And sometimes in the case of my petrol 90 the problem disapears when the 110 took a bad turn... reakon it was wanting more of my attention. I dont actually mind the little freelanders look ok and no dought they are ok off road - probably show me up good time as i have no real offroading experience. Rather break down in one of them than the other rivals being a landy fan. And just like discos their super cheap too buy.

Talking of my 110 i think its amongst the best around at letting water in if splashing through a puddle ill get mini fountains coming up through the floor or if a real big puddle i can blow the handbrake gaitor off and soak the entire cabin area. proper landrover wet driving experience at its best.

1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

gary1968

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:53:51 PM »
Dont get me wrong m8, I do regret selling my td5 Disco but the chassis was starting to go on it so had to get rid.
Dont get me wrong, If I had the cash I would be driving a 90, but funds wont allow and maybe more importantly SWMBO thinks they are too 'aggricultural', I think they are the mutts doodahs......  ;D
Anyway, hope to see you sometime at a GRR or maybe a driving day.... I wouldn't mind seeing you 'in car fountain' though.

Gaz