Wax Oiling

· 12 · 3602

Kerzo

Wax Oiling
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »
Some advice on wax oiling required. where do you get this done and how much does it cost, can anyone recommend anyone.
Winter has not being kind to my LR. >:(

Cheers John.

jwsspca

Re: Wax Oiling
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Where abouts are you ?

Kerzo

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »
Bathgate

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
Try Strathearn Engineering at Auchterarder - added bonus of a nice drive into Perthshire !

Dunno about cost.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

jwsspca

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »
Have used GD Diesels in Kelso maybe bit far

geoff

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 07:55:43 PM »
Do it yourself, here's a link to what i did.
Has your chassis got any holes in it, best to weld them before you wax oil

http://www.slroc.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4030.0

cheers

Geoff

tgreer

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 09:34:18 PM »
I done mine myself.... good brush down with a wirebrush (or sandblasted if you have that available), weld up any holes, and paint it up... 109 chassis done using about 2-3L of the stuff MAX... 5L tin 25 quid from cash n carry
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

Alanhid

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
Mine was done in a glasgow garage a couple of years a go by the previous owner, Ive got the receipt and Im sure it only cost about ?170, though none of the hollow sections was done internally. I must say its held up well and still looks ok.
Im looking to get the hollow sections done, so if anyone can recommend anywhere near lanarkshire or advise how to do it, especially the bulkhead it would be appreciated.

Radarears

• photo bucket
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »
As Gene says try Strathearn costs about ?250 but they do a lot of prep and dry it out before applying wax over and into every area have seen a Disco done and it was very much worth the cost. David did reply to a previous post and gave a good breakdown of all work involved
Discovery td5 "Monte"

And the registered keeper of a Range Rover 4.0 se

Dave T

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 07:07:16 AM »
Reading some of the above I would be very wary about blocking up the holes. Last week I was in getting a patch put on my chaasis and it was absolutely amazing how much mud, road muck and salt was lying about in the bottom of my chassis, there was a layer probably not far off half an inch thick, all nice and moist chewing its way though my steel. So before blocking any holes I would say it would need a very, very god wash out and then left to dry for several days.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
Reading some of the above I would be very wary about blocking up the holes. Last week I was in getting a patch put on my chaasis and it was absolutely amazing how much mud, road muck and salt was lying about in the bottom of my chassis, there was a layer probably not far off half an inch thick, all nice and moist chewing its way though my steel. So before blocking any holes I would say it would need a very, very god wash out and then left to dry for several days.

Absolutely agree. I ended up with a Galv chassis after my '96 90 was found to have terminal rot all along the bottom of the chassis rails. As you say, an inch or so of mud  and it had been festering there for up to 13 years.  >:( 

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

landroverdiver

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »
Hi

I recently had my 2007 110 SW done for the first time a Strathearn Engineering, cost ?240.

They told me in advance what they would do and how long they needed it for, two days work, including overnight drying.  They do internal and external.

Really good guys to deal with, and absolutely first class service.  No mess or overspray.

Can't recommend them enough.