Disco Help

· 12 · 1973

R.G.P.

Disco Help
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:50:49 AM »
Hi Folks,

Strongly considering getting a Disco td5 to replace my 90, can anyone answer a few questions for me?

How are they in the muddy stuff, with a set of mud tyres will they keep up? I've been to see a few that didn't have a locking diff was this an option or did it come in later/at all?

If anyone else has some advice/ experience any info would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Robin

LR90 2.5td (until it melts)
currently a nice shade of primer grey

tambo

Re: Disco Help
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:28:18 AM »
hi mate im sure it did not come with diff lock as standard t/c instead
there are after market linkage kits because its all there in the car the kits just the final piece of the jigsaw although its not cheap around a grand as far as i can remember
when i was buying my 300 tdi disco i was looking at td5s and seem to recall that the last cars off the line did have diff lock but theres not too many
Lifes Too Short Not To !!!

MudBucket

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »
Hi,

the disco td5 is lower, and has crossmembers under the gearbox which finds all the rock and boulders a 90 doesnt even see.
the earlier discos have a lower front valance and this will take a beating and you will loose the tow hitch cover plastic.
the facelift versions i think have a better ramp angle.
the td5's will have either anti roll bars or ACE control, so articulation will be limited compared to a defender with no anti-roll bars.
ACE is a royal pain once it starts to leak.
the brakes have a tendancy to seize at the guide pins on the td5, regular maintenence is required to keep them nice. the defender calipers dont seize as often.
the disco will go fast and is comfy, defender is a shed on wheels.

you can get mud tyres for the disco, but they have to be smaller ( rolling radius) than an 90's max about 235/70 r16 whereas the 90 can get 265/85 r16 etc, other wise they will rub on the bodywork.

all the disco td5s have a difflock, the early ones (with traction control) just dont have the locking link on the Hi-Lo gearstick, you can lock them by getting underneath and using a pair of pliers, turn the difflock knob. there are aftermarket actuators and gears levers to allow you to use the difflock.

the disco is nice off road, but the 90 is more fun and will go further.

if the disco has traction control (i think they all do) the you need to have the wheels turing at least 5kph in order fo spin to be noticed my the ecu and for the control to work.

My solution is to have the td5 disco and a 110 for the really muddy stuff.
there are other folk on here who use the td5 disco all the time for all events so whey will have a better idea what it is like in the mud, but i've found it to be not as good as the defender.

cheers

R.G.P.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I had planned on raising the disco with a 2inch lift then fitting a different bumper to get rid of the front valance. I hadn't really expected it to be as good as my 90 after all that's what they were designed for but as long as it can still get around a site i'll be happy!

I needed more space and have started doing more miles in it so I now need something that I can play in at the weekend but also hear the radio on the motorway!

Any more advice from td5 users would be great?

Thanks

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
The early models didn't have the diff lock lever in the cab. Some also didn't have the mechinism in the transfer box, he only way to find out is to get underneath and see if the actuating lever is sticking out the
top of the casing. The linkage from a D1 can be used to fit the D2 I have seen.

TBH unless you are doing some serious off roading the D2 won't embarass you. The TC helps out greatly over a non TC 90. So less you are getting mega muddy every weekend, the pros outweight the cons!
Steve

pitcaig

• SLROC Member no.2152
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 02:58:43 PM »
Hi
Where about are you? I'm in Falkirk and if you want you can come and see mine and I'll let you know what I think of them.

I've had mine for 4 1/2 years and think it's a great car. I do GRR, Driving days and TYRO's with mine. It does not have the CDL and the only times that I have been stuck it would have not made any differance.
I also bought a Nannocom as I do all my own servicing and repairs.

Try and get a facelifted model as these had alot of the earlier problems sorted out.

Cheers
Graeme

R.G.P.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:23:46 PM »
Hi Graeme,

I'm in Alloa so not too far away, time is a bit of an issue for me at the moment but if I find a free moment I will get in touch.  What's your work shedule?  Thank you very much for the offer!  I don't think my funds will stretch to the facelifted models, I was planning on converting the airbags to springs are there many other problems that I need to be aware of?

Robin

jay2578

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:39:50 PM »
I`ve only had problems with the suspension bags perishing and periodically deflating! As for capabilities, I`ve pulled a landcruiser, a hilux a couple of 90`s and a 110 hi-cap out of the sticky stuff, and had to go through what they` already been through on a couple of occasions! More than capable, even with my standard road tyres!

mac

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »
Early DII's had diff lock, as did the later cars (as an option).  It's the ones in the middle that didn't (late 2001~2003 I think).  Some cars had the components just no levers attached as has already been said.  Some had no spigot or internals.  I did have the serial numbers somewhere as I've done the DII transfer box conversion to a few Defenders (ebay purchases when it's easier just to ask the serial number to work out what year it's from before buying!)  If you get one without it's an easy enough job to install.  There is a very good write up on the Disco II owners club forum which even goes into how to disable the electronics from taking over.  That said, the electronics do a very good job on their own, only needing help when things get quite sticky. . .  and then you just get stuck further in  ;D

pitcaig

• SLROC Member no.2152
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 08:10:33 PM »
Hi
I work shifts so you would just have to let me know when you could make it over and I'll see if I'll be about ;)

As for the airbags I would keep them, as long as you look after them and do some preventative maintainence you'll have no problems.

Cheers
Graeme

rangerovering

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
If you fit the Arnott Industry bags they have a lifetime warranty ;)
Steve

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 11:11:43 PM »
Hi, I've got a Disco 2 TD5, facelift...and think its a great motor. Much more comfortable than a Defender, but still very capable off-road (and in the snow). Got 2 sets of tyres for it, Grabber AT2 for general use, and Insa Turbo SAharas for the really muddy stuff - its the tyres that really make the difference as to where you can go...and get out of. Mine has manual diff-lock which was re-intrduced on the late-model D2s. Don't think it makes much difference though or improves capability over what the TC already provides. Like Graeme, i use mine at GRRs, tyros and driving days, and with chunky tyres it doesn't fall far short of a defender - its just the driver that's the problem.
Alan

PS its likely to be going up for sale this weekend - will post in For Sale section