300Tdi strange transmission noises

· 6 · 1916

Big Slippy

300Tdi strange transmission noises
« on: December 16, 2010, 11:16:15 PM »
Hi all,

I have a wee (turning bigger) problem and would appreciate any thoughts.

After a gallant day on 'white Monday' pulling several cars from EK expressway I checked underneath Landy. After replacing 1 UJ on both props (and refitting props in exactly same positions) they were done anyway prior to helping stranded cars. I drove home with a slight vibration felt through the steering etc. Double checked props tight etc, all OK.
Drove home tonight and it feels/sounds terrible. Vibration worse and I definately feel as if something is ready to lunch itself at any moment. The only time it feels/sounds right if I dip the clutch.
Surely Landy can cope with a few cars and tranny vans getting pulled up a slip road....??!!

Any advice welcome before I start ripping gearbox/transfer box out to see ::)
2005 Alive Defender 110 Double Cab
2015 Range Rover Sport

Big Slippy

Re: 300Tdi strange transmission noises
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 08:59:47 AM »

just to add, it's got a double carden prop. I dont know if these are prone to issues I'm not aware of.?
2015 Range Rover Sport

tio

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
????? is it defenately out of difflock ??????? i usually find that once a uj go's the rest arent far behind, esp if your landie gets tortured, muck, water, deep snow and road salt quickly degrade your joints you really should be greasing every couple of week's, it does sound like driveline so thats the only two things i can think off

Big Slippy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 12:12:20 PM »

UJ's are replaced or fine. UJ's and props all greased. I tried it in and out of difflock (light on and off) seems OK.
I still am suspicious of that Carden prop and some kind off ball joint/spring in between the UJ's.??
2015 Range Rover Sport

Big Slippy

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »

Just incase anyone suffers similar issues, it was the ball/spring/needle bearing inside the double cardan joint of the prop that was shot.

Propshaft Services Bonnybridge  - good, efficient & knowledgeable service. :)
2015 Range Rover Sport

tio

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 07:58:41 PM »
glad you got it sorted buddy 8) 8) 8)