Hesitant 300tdi Auto Disco

· 5 · 1648

Archi

Hesitant 300tdi Auto Disco
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »
Okay, this is driving me mad now....  My 300tdi Disco has what I thought was flat spot at low revs, for a long time I have juts ignored it. Its now getting worse and I now realize that when pottering about the engine dies back to tick over and I can push the accelerator to the floor and nothing will happen, if I lift my food of and plant it back on it comes back to life as if nothing is wrong.  Its a real nightmare in town in traffic, go go to pull away at a roundabout and it dies on you!!!  I have serviced it regularly use only OE fuel filter, cleaned out the sediment bowl and used fuel system cleaner periodically, no difference at all.  does anyone have any ideas to save be blindly replacing things until its fixed....  Am thinking air flow meter, can this be tested as they look rather expensive?

tio

Re: Hesitant 300tdi Auto Disco
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »
Graham  does your tdi have an air flow meter (cant remember if the last disco tdi's had an air flow meter) if it's mechanicaly controled there is a couple of thing's you can advance the timing or tweek the pump you can search it on a number of landrover forums, but should only really be done by someone competent, i'm sure this is a known issue with auto tdi's.  8)

jay2578

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:55:17 PM »
Could be airflow meter, also, hate to ask a silly question but, have you bled fuel system/Checked pumps and fuel lines at injectors?  Fuel pipes at injectors occasionally split, but you`ll only notice a very fine mist whilst the engines running

Archi

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 03:59:50 PM »
Yes has an air flow meter, what benefit does this have, can they be done away with easily, new ones seem very expensive? Any way of testing them?

tio

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:33:45 PM »
Unsure if you can remove it permanantly (doubt it though) there not that dear on eblag m8 look them up also under the td5 mass air flow sensor, i think it depends which model it is, have you tottaly explored all other area's of doubt i've had a simmilar issue with my defender 300 tdi  issue as yourself with me i only got to the bottom of it when the turbo gave out, as the manifold was stripped off,  the gasket was in lots of pieces and i never heard it now it runs like a different car, so as jay said also you need to doublecheck for everything, best o luck m8  good news is though im sure you can get a remap or piggy back chip ti liven it up, Tio