Insurance for 200Tdi 90 on glav. chassis

· 8 · 2431

EuanM

Insurance for 200Tdi 90 on glav. chassis
« on: September 12, 2016, 11:51:27 AM »
Hopefully my rebuilt 200tdi 90 will be finished in the next 4 weeks so my thoughts have turned to insuring it. It is a standard 200tdi with no modifications except a galvanised chassis.  I know some folk do not consider a galv chassis as a modification but as it significantly affects the value of the vehicle I think it safer to declare it rather than get involved in a protracted dispute with the insurer should something happen.  The 90 will be used as daily transport so I don't think it will be possible to get a classic policy although I've still to speak to Footman James who insure my lightweight.

Can anybody recommend an insurer? NFU Mutual has been mentioned.  I did try the Sureterm direct website but the quote was £650 with 12 years NCB! Putting the details into Go Compare (without declaring the chassis), the cheapest quote from a recognised insurer was £220.

Any suggestions who else to try?

Alan Mc

Re: Insurance for 200Tdi 90 on glav. chassis
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 07:06:34 PM »
Hi.  I'd try Adrian Flux and you should be able to agree a value for a £15 fee, along with sending in a bunch of photos. 

Alan.

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »
Adrian Flux came out best when I wanted to insure my 200tdi 90 Defender, from memory around £180 but your right a galvanised chassis will increase the overall top end valuation which I believe you can state when making your declarations at the time when arranging the insurance policy and also declare any modifications from standard that have been carried out, however, is the replacement of a standard chassis to standard specification a modification, I don't think this would be classed as such but it's certainly an enhancement, good luck in any case.
Jock

seismic

• Name: Kennedy Ferguson
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »
I recently insured my 90 V8 reg with Footmanjames, cost £118 Fully comp with an agreed valuation which did not cost extra.

EuanM

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »
Is that as a classic vehicle or as a daily driver?

seismic

• Name: Kennedy Ferguson
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
Mileage limited to 2000 miles annually, Also garaged

EuanM

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 11:02:29 AM »
Thanks - I'll give them a call nearer the time.

Scott110

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 12:20:57 AM »
Hi
Just a thought! I use Flux direct, Adrian flux sister company, they seem to know alot more about older landrovers and will cover you better going on my experiences. I was going to change my 90 chassis for a galvanized but on asking them they said there would be a agreed valuation on factory spec only anything else is a modification so costs more. Now that's a good thing but a galvi chassis only is not the be end all. You can pick up a landy rebuild with otherwise the norm spec straight swap job for less than a fully standard very well looked after factory spec original truck. In my opinion to keep value you have to keep all serial numbers original and if a new chassis contact the dvla and update your v5 correctly. End of the day a replacement genuine landrover chassis stapped up correctly if you can get one makes a galvanized chassis look like an aftermarket part... See my point?.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.