radiator for a V8 automatic defender

· 3 · 1470

red 90

radiator for a V8 automatic defender
« on: January 30, 2016, 09:49:21 AM »
Hi,

I am fitting a 3.9efi engine in a defender TD5, I have a discovery rad complete with the oil cooler on one side and the auto box cooler on the other side.
it looks like its too wide to fit in the defender space and wonder is there any other radiators with the same set up that would fit.

as an alternative would it be possible for a radiator shop to reduce the width and re-core it.

any advice would be appreciated.

Ian

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
Re: radiator for a V8 automatic defender
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 07:18:43 PM »
I run a serpentine 3.9 in my 130, the radiator is an early 2.5 diesel item with no oil coolers in it. It is full width but with a 3inch deep core rather than a 2inch core on the disco radiator. You can get the 2.5d and 2.5td rads with an engine oil cooler in them. I have a seperate engine oil cooler fitted in front of the radiator. Top hose is standard 3.9 disco and the bottom hose is a 50th anniversary 90 V8 hose. The heater hoses use disco 3.9 v8 metal pipes with silicone hose reducers fitted to bringing the hose to the correct diameter silicone hose for the defender heater and gas vapouriser.I've fitted a matched temp gauge and sender unit fitted which shows operating water temp of about 82-85 degrees.
Give me a shout if you want any more info or if you're local you're more than welcome to have a look for yourself.

red 90

Re: radiator for a V8 automatic defender
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:29:31 AM »
thanks,

That's very helpful, it gives me options, I might take you up on looking at your setup in the future.

I am based in Largs but can travel.

regards
ian