Discovery 2

· 7 · 1844

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
Discovery 2
« on: November 28, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
Hi All,

Just looking for your overall views on the above , after many Landrovers and Old Rangerovers I have taken possession of a 2002 Discovery TD5 Manual with only 106k miles. I have only been able to drive it about 80 miles which I enjoyed but its now in the garage for a few repairs , it needs a new front diff due to excessive wear causing all sorts of unpleasant noises and a wheel bearing ,
My question is will the diff wear be down to it having had a hard life ?? Or just yet another weekness in the model , I read many owners having all sorts of issues after relatively few miles, cylinder head issues , air suspension problems and the dreaded rot to chassis .
Mine has also apparently had a new clutch recently fitted ?? When I compare this to two cars I had recently a clio with 160k miles and still on original clutch and no major repairs to engine , also my current Merc 190d has 176k miles with all original main parts and running as quiet and smooth as day one , why then so many issue with the Discovery ?

I am still happy with my purchase as long as the new diff etc means that I have many miles without further issues but I'm doubtful ??

piper5

Re: Discovery 2
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
i had a w reg which was great, replaced three wheel bearings and clutch, i put the clutch down to what i was doing with it , lots of towing and to be honest it didnt need a clutch, the release bearing was noisy so i changed it. mine was a billy basic model , no engine or gearbox issues.
my mate still has the disco and its now had the fourth wheel bearing and another replaced a second time and recently had its first chassis patch, funnily enough in a strange place at the front.
like most motors its down to how its been treated and serviced, bet the diff is on its factory oil.
i always changed the fluids on time with quality stuff and both oil filters at the same time. having had a 200,300,td5 and disco three i would say the td5 was my favorite and to be honest i regret selling it, maybe cause the disco three was such a bucket of poo.

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:18:44 AM »
I'm on my third. Going to look at a v8 one later today. They are great trucks. It's true some needs lots of work but you only hear about the bad ones. How many 1000's of good ones are out there. Enjoy the d2 mate. There is a forum just for them D2boysclub :-)
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

kvz2000

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:49:50 AM »
Thanks guys , I'll be very good to it and it will not be hard pushed , I went for a Disco in the hope that I could use it for mild off roading yet comfortable travel longer journeys which will allow me to get rid of a car .looking forward to getting it back early next week and will be able to drive it without horrible noises , certainly feels nice on the road and as it has new tyres on nice alloys it should be capable off road .
I'll update soon when I've been able to test drive properly

kvz2000

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
Just collected Disco from garage tonight , so S/H front Diff fitted , new front hub and complete brake assembly, 20 mile drive home in torrential rain with flooding so not the best test drive , but it is 100% better , noises and vibration away ,,it was very good in the flooded conditions and didn't pull when it hit big puddles unlike our Subaru XV.
It feels great to drive and im looking forward to the winter conditions now , fingers crossed

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »
Excellent. Glad your enjoying it. If you use Facebook there us a Scottish d2 group. Handy if your needing advice. Plugged into a nanocom etc. :-)
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

kvz2000

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 10:03:36 PM »
Excellent. Glad your enjoying it. If you use Facebook there us a Scottish d2 group. Handy if your needing advice. Plugged into a nanocom etc. :-)

Cheers