temp gauge always sits high

· 7 · 2249

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
temp gauge always sits high
« on: December 22, 2015, 08:24:22 PM »
200tdi defender 1990 temp gauge always sits about three quarters the way up maybe more . Never goes into the red no head gasket issues. Ive tried five different sender units and I have changed the thermostat. At my wits end with it.

Please please help.

Thanks Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

Ross.M

• Name: Ross Muir
Re: temp gauge always sits high
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
I had the same problem which started the same as your description but deteriorated into overheating only on hills. The thermostat, viscous fan and temp gauge were all changed but made no difference. Turned out my two year old radiator had collapsed internally. New rad sorted the problem but I still have a digital temp gauge just to keep an accurate eye on things.

Ross

DRH

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 10:28:59 PM »
Is it an original 200tdi in an original Defenderi?  There seem to be a number of different guage and sender combinations

When I converted my na into the 300tdi I got an in line variable resistor from Maplins £1.73 which is very imilar to a volume control switch but much finer.

I put it in the wiring behind the guage and gave the motor a good tanking to get it up to "working temperature" and set it to sit in the middle of the scale.  Once I was satisfied it was reading fairly accurately I put a spot of superglue on it to prevent it moving

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:38:33 PM »
I thought about resistor. But the gauge does rise when I push on a bit and I didn't want to cook the engine also I poped a diff and had to drive home at 30mph and the gauge went down quite a bit which it shouldn't really do. Rad is a couple of years old but I think it was a brit part one not good I know so it looks like a new rad. Any recommendations to get a decent one???

Thanks Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

Dave T

1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »
Have a look if you can at the instruments in the cockpit of a Spitfire.  All the instruments appear to be sitting at odd angles - however, when the engine is operating normally all the needles point straight up. Makes it simple to see in a split second if anything untoward is happening. So you could just bend the gauge a bit to make it neat.
Navigator          GM1VBE

piper5

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 06:27:14 PM »
i had this problem and as someone has already said there is many different senders and gauges, int he end a bought a complete kit from mcgill motorsport on ebay, matching sender and gauge had no issues since, only cost £15