recon short engine or new better engine

· 8 · 1818

Mortlachman

• Davaar B&B
recon short engine or new better engine
« on: September 11, 2015, 08:09:49 PM »
Can anyone help me out as I am new to Landrovers, I have a 1984 2.5 N/A Diesel Defender the rings are badly worn and pressure builds up.  I want to keep it and am considering either reconning the short engine or if possible obtaining an exchange reconned one. However I have been told that there is also another engine that will fit straight in and is more powerful than the original 2.5 N/A but I don't know what it is.  Can anyone give me any info please.

lurch032003

Re: recon short engine or new better engine
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 08:51:44 PM »
Hi I don't know about re conning , but series motors can have 200 or300td from a disco fitted but also require the gear box axels and wiring and some modes done to fit it all in, but it is possible there is folk here which I'm sure will pop on and give you more information, if you end up getting rid is said engine give me a shout as just fitted a 2.5 n/a diesel to mine and struggling to get it started and yours may have parts to help fix mine so please shout me if your getting rid of it.
On anther not there is other engines that fit the original 2:25 petrol and diesel but I suspect one engine mount on drivers side would have to be change back for it to be fitted and is basically a start swap bar connecting up its start stop which is easy enough done.
Hope this helps
John

piper5

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:38:15 AM »
convert to a 300tdi theres plenty about and plenty info on the web about how to do it, if you are capable of swapping your existing engine you could do the swap to tdi no problem

Sandy M

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 11:45:54 AM »
Several engines to choose from that would swap in without too much drama. The 200Tdi is the more modern version of yours and is virtually a swap like for like, however they are all getting a bit old now (20 years since they were last fitted new). The 300Tdi is the 'upgraded' version of the 300 and can be fitted, however there may be some issues with electronics to overcome and again the 300 was last fitted new about 15 years ago.

You could always fit a nice, simple V8 petrol engine instead  ;D, but for more detailed info on a 200 or 300 conversion try here...

http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200tdi.htm

Greigboy

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
300tdi is not a straight fit and will require new engine mounts to be fabricated and welded to your chassis, the 200TDi is a physical straight fit however there are other bits and bobs that will require minor modification.

Steve Parker does most of the bits and bobs to do various conversions

https://www.steveparkers.com/conversions/
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

Mortlachman

• Davaar B&B
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »
Many thanks everyone, loads of good info, the quest begins.

weetoddy

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »
In regards to the 300TDI , If you are handy with a welder ( or know someone who is ) you can make a right side engine mount that fits around the oil filter, this means the 300TDI will fit in the same position as the original engine without having to weld new mounts to the chassis . It can also be mounted to the LT77 gearbox if you cut part of the adapter plate off  so that the slave cylinder can be fitted.

Cheers Iain
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky engine

mark ross

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 07:11:47 PM »
av a 19 j dt engine 120.000 miles on it still in motor will be cheep contack 07511131151 if any good