Disco Td5 bad starting in cold weather.

· 6 · 2165

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
Disco Td5 bad starting in cold weather.
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »
Can anyone help. My Disco Td5 is poor at starting on cold mornings. Glow plugs have been renewed but still the same. I have a Hawkeye diagnostic tool but quiet sure of the readings. When it starts it runs just fine. I live in Dumbarton.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

piper5

Re: Disco Td5 bad starting in cold weather.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:41:52 AM »
are the glowplugs getting power? put a meter on them and check to prove the relay is powering them up.
does the motor crank over lots before it fires? could it be a fuel issue?
check the water drain on the fuel filter to make sure you dont have frozen water in the bottom, how fresh is the filter?

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:22:18 AM »
Possibly a pin hole in the fuel pipes. If you Google it you will find the symptoms are similar. :-)
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

aqms987

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:18:51 PM »
 Sounds very likely to be a fuel issue, if the fuel is "falling back" overnight due to a hole in the pipes or the filter becoming porous due to corrosion then the symptoms you have would result. Once you have the first start of the day then all will be well (for a short while) but eventually nil starting will result. The location of the fuel filter on these vehicles renders them very susceptible to corrosion or damage.

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »
Thanks for all your posts but this fault only happens when outside temp. drops to about 4c or below if warmer it starts first fine as it should.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 11:43:37 PM »
What's the starting symptoms, needing a number of cranks before turning over, starts first crank but rough running , white smoke on start up ?
I find my td5 lately takes a little longer to start in cold weather but it always starts on first turn of the key ( i do have a original battery and pushing 15 years and powering a electric winch and 400w of roof lights think it's due a new one when it starts showing its age)

Without seeing it I would check the battery is in good condition ( as well as clean and regrease Earth points and battery terminals) as low temperatures will really test the batteries ability to start a cold diesel.

If in doubt try halfords or local garage to carry out a battery test .

Greg
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90