Steering box nut

· 6 · 1713

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
Steering box nut
« on: January 07, 2015, 08:47:46 PM »
Hi,

The large nut on the bottom of my power steering box was slack , how tight should this be . I have a lot of play in the steering and wondering if this could have anything to do with it ,

At

Donald

Dave T

Re: Steering box nut
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 07:09:58 AM »
176NM, or in English, really really tight!

It may contribute, but only slightly as it is splined, so unless the arm was wobbling about then thats not the only problem. Start with the obvious track rod ends, drop arm ball joint and steering UJs, then dont forget about wheel bearings, tyre pressures and all the other bushes around both front and rear suspension. I have also seen the screw in bracket that the sterring damper attaches to be quite wobbly.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

kvz2000

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »
Many thanks Dave, I did tighten it a fair bit , I honestly think its the steering box but will get it checked, due an mot this month son will have to be sorted

diesel jock

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:03:59 PM »
I have had mines slacken off in the past after fitting a new steering box and arm,which made the steering a tad interesting, it kept on bending the lock tab tried using loctite  still came loose. I then made a thicker lock tab and fitted a spring washer to it which seems to have cited the problem.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 10:20:30 PM »
I had an issue with my steering arm coming loose every few months ( 300 Tdi 90) . Turned out it was the wrong one, refitted after an accident and visually similar but  with marginally different splines.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

kvz2000

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 02:31:33 PM »
New track rod end fitted and top of suspension unit has been tightened by removing a shim ? Steering a huge improvement and Landy now has new MOT