TD5 Remap

· 10 · 3214

gennydoctor

TD5 Remap
« on: December 24, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
My 2001 TD5 discovery is in dire need of a remap, I towed for the first time with it this week (just over 2 tons) and it is absolutely gutless. It's been de-egr'd and has a straight through centre box fitted, it dies on the hills, stalls at junctions and is generally an embarrassment!  It seems to go fine unladen, has anyone re-mapped theirs and who would they recommend?

Cheers Ross

stanlee

• Name: Dave Low
Re: TD5 Remap
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »
I got a '99 TD5 110 done a few weeks ago by Mike at Dynachip. Really good guy and travels all over the country if you're willing to wait a few weeks. Didn't rush the job and asked me specifically what I wanted out of the remap. Test drive afterwards to make sure the turbo wastegate arm was set correctly and diagnostic check before he started to make sure there was nothing else wrong. It's pulling a lot better now. Would recommend him without hesitation. You'll probably have a older type MSB ecu on that (think they were changed to NNN type in 2002). He can still remap the MSB one but he's more limited in what he can change, so might be worth changing the ecu at the same time.

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 07:05:18 PM »
the msb ecu can be remapped to a similar level as a nnn ecu,

@ross where are you? it shouldnt be totally gutless,

Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

gennydoctor

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 08:51:03 PM »
I'm in Dumbarton, since posting I've shortened the wastegate actuator by a turn, bypassed the wastegate modulator and cleaned the MAP sensor, each "modification" has improved things -cleaning the MAP sensor producing the biggest change. Not towed with it again but things are starting to look a bit better, it felt like an old 2 1/4 diesel the other day!

Sooty

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »
map sensor or maf sensor?

have you tried it with the maf disconnected?

gennydoctor

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »
Hi I cleaned the map sensor and it did seem to improve the flat spot a little, unplugged the Maf and it made no difference. The motor isn't the quickest but put a trailer on it and it's hopeless, wish I'd gone for a 300 tdi instead. Done a full filter and oil service as well. I really hope a remap will improve the very short powerband. I can hear the turbo spooling up and wastegate operating but it seems to need fuel, there's never any smoke from the exhaust.

Sooty

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 05:56:50 PM »
i personally wouldnt be remapping it until you know its working as it should,

i fitted an EGR removal kit to a disco last week & cleaned up the ecu plug & the customer reported it to drive much better than it did before, he too complained of it feeling sluggish,

if you want to bring it over im more than happy to plug it in & check out any fault codes & have a look at it for you,

a td5 running right is far better than a 300tdi

aqms987

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 10:00:45 PM »
 I have had several TD5's & if they are set correctly, they perform very well, much better than a 300TDI. So I would suggest staying with a standard TD5. I am now running a 2.4 TDCI in standard tune & it is even better.  I suspect that Mr Land-Rover knows better than me!

rangerovering

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 10:28:38 PM »
Doesnt sound like its very healthy they are not sluggish when working properly. Whats the mileage? Injector problems are very common
Steve

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
Its maybe worth looking at the fuel pump.

Last year I put a new fuel pump (ebay special) ever since I was complaining how it felt low on power. I have recently found out it was low on pressure. A correct pump should run at 4 bar, however mine was running at 1 bar. This I thought would be enough to shut the engine down. So based on this maybe your pump isn't delivering enough pressure. I've got an inline gauge you can borrow if you wish to check it.

A standard TD5 should have no problems pulling a few ton.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy