Series steering

· 9 · 1750

mike66

• Name: Mike Wheeler
Series steering
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:23:58 AM »
Hi all, with any luck you can shed some light on my steering issue (I'm having a blonde momment!!)

I've just rebuilt the steering box (new bearings and seals), new track rod ends, and the steering relay is maybe six month old.

Now, what I can fathom out, is the steering meant to self centre it's self? The steering was horrendous before hand so the motor was put on sorn for a few months and I can't for the life of me remember if it did it in the first place!!

It also feels a touch twichie, so I'm thing I've tightened the adjuster on the box up to much? Would that sound right?

Cheers

Mike

rangerovering

Re: Series steering
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:55:37 AM »
Have you set the swivel preloads?
Steve

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:53:03 AM »
hi mike

it could be a number of things, as rangerovering said check the preloads on swivels better to do this with seals off, while your under there take off relay top and bottom T/R/E and see if it turns freely [is there oil in it I have had new ones delivered dry]. loosen off steering box a bit till you can feel some play in steering wheel and give it a try at that. if you have changed all T/R/E have you had tracking done , if it far out that can make it very twitchy.

hope this helps shug...   

mike66

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies,

Nope, I've not done the swivel preload, if I'm honest, I didn't know I had to, is it fairly straight forward to do? Never done them before.

Now Shug, you made an intresting point there about the relay. Yes it has oil in it, but by god was it hard to turn by hand!! How easy should it be to turn by hand?

Cheers Mike

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »
re the relay ?

it wasnt britpart was it ?

they only last five mins i have heard  :o

if you can find your old one replace it with that and try again  ;)
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

mike66

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 11:21:08 PM »
Hopefully I've still got the old one, I'll check this weekend when I get time.

From memory, I think it was Bearmach that made the replacement relay.

I've just been reading up on the preload, looks relatively straight forward. So I'll have a crack at that next.

Many thanks.

Mike

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »
hi mike
when you take off seals to check preload look at oil that has come out for contamination [water -grit ] that can seize bottom bearing.

relay should turn by hand without too much effort , I have came across quite a few seized relays the way I have fixed them is get a BIG copper hammer and give it an almighty whack from underneath straight upward , it's up to you if you want to try this method don't blame me if you break it  :D.

don't forget the tracking.

hope this helps shug...

mike66

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »
I discovered the bottom plate of the relay, was insainly loose. So tightened (reattached!), it and what a difference that made!

On closer inspection of the swivels, they're heavily pitted and on jacking up the wheels and wobbling them top to bottom showed they have a lot of play in them..... So, I think I might just bite the bullet and order new swivels and and swivel pins and just go belt and braces on the whole steering!!

Thanks all for your help, much appreciated! :-)

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 09:36:51 PM »
The wobble is more likely to be the swivel bearings than the pins ?
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....