Used landrover defender dealer

· 15 · 2809

Cammy

• Name: Neil Campbell
Used landrover defender dealer
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:17 PM »
Hi, I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting on the right page. The first vehicle I ever drove after passing my test was a short wheel base landrover defender wolf. This was during my time in the army. I loved that vehicle. I practically lived in it, drove it the length and breadth of the country. I also did a lot of off roading in it. This was a good few years back. The past year or so I have been pining to be behind the wheel of a defender again. My wife is not too keen on getting rid of our comfy warm family estate car however I am working on this minor blip.I am after a 110csw, as it will be run as our only vehicle, my wife doesn't drive. The one thing that annoys me is the road tax, it's a joke and it's more through principal that I am looking for a pre 2006 model. I have been religiously scouring the internet for used vehicles,  a lot of which appear to be down south. Can any of you good people recommend a dealer that will accept a trade in. I live in the Glasgow area. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks. Cammy.

Dave T

Re: Used landrover defender dealer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:19 PM »
There is a place on the A82 as it goes through Dumbarton, just past the Lindsay's the vauxhall dealer and before police headquarters. They have a few defenders sat out the front, never used them and no idea what they are like. Another one could be Strathearn engineering in auchterader just south of Perth
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:25 PM »
Probably better to sell the car on auto trader than px it, you'll likely get more for it. A bit of a hike for you but Lix Toll at Killin are another option. Google them, they list their current stock.

......or go for a Wolf. mOD are selling off most of the 90s. Google Withams sv. They have the disposal contract.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Sandy M

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:20:39 AM »
You could also try

http://www.andrewstorrylandrovers.co.uk/

just a short trip along the M8 !!

or take the missus out for run in the country.  Jimmy Louden is basically retired now with the day to day running handed over to the young 'uns, but he is able to source vehicles to customer spec (usually).

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Loudon%204x4/0225165031103908000/

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
Loop hole in road tax is buy commercial, hardtop, utility or double cab. I would recommend Lixtoll in killin or http://www.lixtoll.com
rkg in Galloway area http://www.rkglandrovers.co.uk/main.htm
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

aqms987

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
 I would also recommend a double cab, easier to keep warm, plenty of cargo space in the rear & easier to secure the load space with an Ifor Williams type cover. I am on my third one which is a 2.4 TDCI, I have also had TD5 & 300TDI versions.

Regards

Cammy

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »
Some excellent advice. Will be taking a trip up to A. Storry for a look. With regards to the commercial vehicles, hard tops, double cabs etc. I am going to be running this as a family vehicle, with some light off roading. I am looking at the CSW versions for the extra seating. Kids want the side facing seats! Easy to sell to them, still working on the wife!

vag_landy

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
I was under the assumption kids couldn't use side facing rear seats due to booster seats. Thinking that's why a new 110 is a 7 seater and not a 12 seater like the early TD5's with side facing seats
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

Cammy

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
My kids are older and do not require booster seats. Is it still the case that side facing seats cannot be used? If this is the case then I will rethink my choice of model.

vag_landy

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:20 PM »
That's a good point I don't know sorry. I have always been playing on safe side and only allow friends kids in front seats. But hopefully someone will know the answer as I would like to know as well. Or I will have to buy forward facing seats if I keep truck
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »
I was driving through Dumbarton tonight . the car sales place that dave t mentioned has [ I only got a quick glance] a 110 csw with full length roof rack, think it was green and an 05 plate price was 10 grand if you are still looking.

Cammy

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 03:21:57 PM »
Many thanks.

Cammy

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 02:12:08 PM »
I have seen a defender 110 csw I am very keen on. It has got over 100,000 miles on the clock but seems solid.I took the good lady for a test drive, drove better than a couple of newer ones I have tried, the defender that is !  I was hoping my better half would see the charm in this iconic vehicle. The comment of "why would we want an old car, it feels like an old car !" Put me on the spot! I guess there would be no point in trying to explain.
I have two growing kids and it was also pointed out to me that there was not that much room in the bench seats behind the passenger and drivers seat, by my wife not the kids, I personally thought it looked ok and pointed out that there were further seating options to the rear of the vehicle, much to the delight of the children.
Anyway I am still keen to purchase this vehicle. It will be used as a daily runner, my wife doesn't drive. We will take it on the occasional family holiday up north, camping fishing maybe a spot of greenlaning etc. and if comfort is ok for wife and kids maybe further afield down south. I am fully aware of the upkeep required on these vehicles, I know it's not a car, I know this is an agricultural / military vehicle that is also capable of running on the road. I also know from experience that once you are used to the driving position and handling of this vehicle there is nothing else like it! I just wonder if the wife would maybe grow to love the defender as much as I do!
I am not interested in comfort and road handling. All I require from this vehicle is to start every day and get me to work and back , a round trip of around 16 miles, and for the aforementioned family outings.
Before I take the plunge, possibly this weekend, am I doing the right thing ? Experiences please from people who have a defender as a family runabout. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
Thanks.

rangerovering

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 02:55:13 PM »
If you like them you like them! Personally I think all round a disco is a better proposition, but thats primarily from a comfort point of view. I do quite a bit of longer distances and value good seats hence why I have a RRC. Its personal preference.

Is it a Td5? There are a few things to watch out for, the heads shuffle sideways and cause problems (check the heater doesn't blow hot cold hot cold when driving) and oil gets in the injector loom. All can be fixed but its one to be aware of. Injectors are £1000 a set for example so worth having someone who really knows what they are talking about to have a look.
Steve

Cammy

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 07:29:46 PM »
It.is a TD5. It is on A Storry 4x4 website, 2000 plate. There was receipts with about £6k worth of  work which had been carried out., hope that's a good thing !