Log book application

· 6 · 1593

m333rcr

• Name: Alistair Mercer
Log book application
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
Hello all

I had a sudden thought the other day I see that there are people selling log books and vin plates for old vehicles. I personally would not be selling it, it will just need to force me into building another landrover :D .

The scenario is my uncle bought this old 2a probably at a guess like 30 years ago. it is up at the farm . Its now just a heap of bits doesn't resemble a landrover barely. It was bought at a farm auction. he never had it on the road our had a log book for it.

I have found the vin plate and registration number. will I be able to apply for a log book?.

I did this with my current landrover apply for log book and the person I got it from just got a letter saying that someone was trying to get a log book for that registration.

Is it worth pursuing?

regards alistair

SJF

• Name: Stuart Ford
Re: Log book application
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:15:41 PM »
Yes absolutely can't have enuf landies could also be a one of owed by royalty unique reg etc etc
And also the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner scotish law does dictate possession is 9/10ths of the law I would say after owning for 30 years its yours

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »
I'd certainly be writing to DVLA asking for a log-book, google DVLA and there will be a form.... 

The bigger issue is that there is a little (illegal) industry of putting the vin plate from older wrecks onto newer vehicles - usually 90s - and selling them as "tax-exempt". Doing so or buying one runs the risk of having VOSA pull the vehicle and scrap it. Now, I don't know how often that happens but the risk is there. Less risky would be putting the plates onto a "bitsa" built up from a wreck and parts from other vehicles. Strangely a new chassis can legally be used but an old chassis can't, it retains the ID it had originally.

To stay legal your best option is to get your Uncles vehicle and rebuild it on a new galv chassis using as many original parts as possible.Google DVLA and rebuilt vehicles to see chapter and verse.  Try Ebaying a Series 2A ID and plates on their own and you'll have a couple of hours till someone reports it to Ebay as "promoting illegal activity" and the ad is pulled.

....the other option is to sell it as project. Surprising the number of people who might be interested. 

Cheers, Gene
( Series 2 Club area rep ) 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 05:34:56 PM »
I had a donor Series 2 with a vintage logbook. I sent it away and after sometime of hearing nothing I chased them up. I was told that the car would have to go to a DVLA centre to confirm it was what it was. Well that didn't happen.
Maybe you will get better luck.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

m333rcr

• Name: Alistair Mercer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the replys . If / when I decided I am going to do anything I am more than likely my  one out of spares. There is not a massive amount to save. I wouldn't  be doing that trying to put it on a 90 or something

I phoned the dvla they said that just need to fill inform. Then a letter would be sent to the previous owner and all they need to say is it's not in there pocession. But whether they would call or write I wouldn't hold my breath but they said they would issue one. Don't no what would happen if they didn't hear back from previous owner.

Sorry bit long winded thanks for replys

Alistair

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »
I rebuilt a '49 land rover, many years ago.

I got a build certificate from the British Heritage Museum (which gave me the chassis number) and a copy of the sales-ticket from the local government office (Edinburgh) - which gave a paper trail for SY9255 to be a pukka 1949 Land Rover.

I got insurance based on the chassis-number, and an MOT based on the chassis-number.
I then drove it (insured, MOT'd) to the local DVLA office who verified the chassis-plate against the supporting documentation.... and issued a number-plate.