Clutch Slave Cylinder push rod help....... before I go mad

· 4 · 1353

Dave T

Clutch Slave Cylinder push rod help....... before I go mad
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »
My foot sunk to the floor the other day on the clutch pedal and my reservior is dry. Quickly removing the clutch slave cylinder it was immediately obvious that was the problem. Unfortunately the push rod and plastic clip was also in my hand from my 90 and when i pulled it off the whole push rod came out as well - the useless plastic clip holding it to the pivot fork had come off. I'm finding it impossible to reattach from inside the slave cylinder cavity- any ideas of how to go about it. Why aren't these things held on by a more secure clip-crazy!  :-[ :-[

I found a thread that suggested using a mirror and torch to see by and a bit of pipe over the push rod would allow me to push the clip home whilst seeing what I was doing. I have been really struggling as the ends of the clip seem to be wider than the slot and I just can't get the two legs of the clip in.

Has anyone managed to succeed with this, either this way or any other??????????
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 06:37:16 PM by Dave T »
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Sandy M

Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder push rod help....... before I go mad
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:58:55 PM »
Dunno if its the same setup as my Ninety 200tdi, but I stuck the pushrod to the release arm with blutack  :-[, then slid the slave cylinder over the pushrod. 7 years later the blutack hasn't let me down.

On a different note, it is often suggested to change the master at the same time as the slave - reason being if one is gone the other ain't that far behind.

lreay

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »
Hi Dave,

I managed to put the clip back in by holding the plastic clip with some forceps, wrapped some fishing line around the two prongs and pulled it to draw the clips together, held the line tight and using a mirror was able to locate the pins in the holes and release the fishing line to allow the pins to locate. Pulled the fishing line out and then released the forceps. This took an hour!

Good Luck
Luke

Dave T

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
Brilliant idea thanks Luke.

I only had some nylon thread but I wrapped it round the legs to hold them together and then used a tube (neck of an oil bottle, the sort that pulls out) to put it in. Straight in in 10 minutes, very happy, all back together just need to top up with fluid and bleed now, but as usual it is tipping down.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite