HAVE I DONE IT RIGHT ??

· 8 · 2183

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
HAVE I DONE IT RIGHT ??
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:20:22 PM »
Hi guys,
just fitted a new heater marix to my Landrover ( 200 TDI )  whilst I was waiting on the part I had just connected to two pipes going to the heater and ran the vehicle without any problems , today I fitted the new matrix, started up the engine and all seems fine.

The expansion tank level hardly dropped much and as the matrix had no water in it I thought that when started the water level would drop as the matrix filled ??   Ran the engine for about 30 mins , pipes to and from matrix heat up and the heater is working fine, I just thought that after doing this job I would have to spend some time getting the air out of the system?

Took the landrover for a quick run and again all seems fine , I do have a problem as my temp gauge always read very high as I've never been able to get a temp sender that reads properly from 200tdi to 90 gauge .
So how would I know for certain that I have to air locks?

Cheers

Donald.

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
Re: HAVE I DONE IT RIGHT ??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:26:49 PM »
sounds about right  :) - i think you were just lucky this time  :o

i would keep any eye on it this week - check water level before and after each use  8)
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

kvz2000

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
Thanks,

Bearing in mind i cant reply on my gauge, if i had air in the system , what would be the signs?  would heater still work ? would my electric thermostatic fan come on ?

Forgot to say that top radiator hose was hot and bottom one cool , I think this is normal ?

cheers
Donald.

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »
take it on a longer run and check the top and bottom hoses again
200tdi's tend to run cool unless hard pushed
if bottom hose is still cool - may be a problem
pos cure - run cold/warmiish engine with rad cap off for a bit (until thermostat opens) and then air shoul escape naturally from the system
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

kvz2000

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »
THANKS ,  Prof-pat-pending , Ill keep an eye on it

kvz2000

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
Final question , if engine is warmed up and you release radiator cap , should there just be a little pressure/air escape and not water , is that correct, if water does spill out does that mean there is air in the system ?

Cheers
Donald

piper5

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:47:43 PM »
are you sure you dont have a head gasket issue?

kvz2000

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »
are you sure you dont have a head gasket issue?
a

Definitely not , I have rune the landrover for 18 months , no oil lose and until very recently when matrix failed no water lose, the 200 TDI starts first time every time and is surprisingly quiet and pulls very strongly.
engine also runs cool, with electric fan hardly ever coming on, no it's just that when replacing matrix and re-filling with water I am sure there will/was air in the system, it seems fine now.