Smoky Series 3 diesel-three bearing

· 6 · 1321

Jim Paterson

Smoky Series 3 diesel-three bearing
« on: January 19, 2014, 11:52:57 PM »
Hello All!
Can anyone give advice on a really reeky diesel-starts okay runs well-reeks like Titanic and does not improve much on warming up.
The engine had been laid up for years-so could it be stuck rings, valve stem seals etc
Some oil coming down exhaust(?inlet valves)-any ideas or remedies greatly appreciated.
Regards to everyone,
Jim Paterson

rangerovering

Re: Smoky Series 3 diesel-three bearing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »
Hi

What colour is the smoke?
Steve

Jim Paterson

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 10:35:35 PM »
Hello All,
Smoke was white-but I advanced the pump today and there is a lot less; even at idle, though still some and also number 3 injector a bit leaky at higher revs.
Put Redex into it with some result ,I think and it is now throwing out a puff of grey brown on acceleration but then clearing on idle to observable smoke, though not much.
I should explain that this is a Series One 80 inch and I would need a first MOT to get a reg number for (it is 1950 161,though probably dispatched in 1950.
I have been working on this project for 20 years off and on and I would now obviously like to have it finished -it was at the Glamis show recently but only courtesy of a trailer and I am hopeful that the SVVC will authenticate it for me, but I still need an MOT for first reg or re-reg I suppose.
This Landy came from Angus so if anyone knows anything about it -all help greatly appreciated and according to Dundee archives 2 were supplied in 1950/51-one to St Roques Automobile, Dundee and another to Airlie Estates-if anybody knows anything about a re number -does anyone know anything; especially of a Logbook or old Tax discs etc.
Thanks for your time and advice,
Regards,
JIM

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
Not sure if this helps but there are records of the stock carried by St Roques at this link.

http://archiveshub.ac.uk/data/gb254-ms93

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 03:04:26 PM »
White smoke is either water or unburnt diesel. Now that you have adjusted the pump and it is better suggests primarily the latter has been a large part of the problem.

If you know one injector isn't right then probably worth getting them all checked - it will need done anyway. After that if it wont time up properly might be time to check the timing chain - they are well known for stretching with age.

How long are you giving it to run? Is it getting fully warmed up? Could be difficult to get an accurate state of tune until it has been driven and worked a bit.
Steve

Jim Paterson

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:55:12 PM »
Hello and thank you for the advice,
It had been chucking down diesel-as per workshop floor and I am wondering about the timing chain-though this engine was supposed to be a rebuild(maybe and Lord knows when!)
 I have heard that a wee drop petrol makes them run a bit hotter and cleaner-is this so?
The lump needs an oil change so I am reluctant to run it too hard at present.
I would say, too, that I am no rivet counter and some parts on the vehicle are Series 2-due to both cost and availability years ago  though it is easier nowadays albeit cost prohibitive.
I tried the Macdonald Archive but did not find anything-so I am still hunting the early years ,reg  etc of this Landy and I will get in touch with Gaydon as I have the chassis number still stamped on the  engine mount (16100027)in case anyone, or their dad, remembers it.
When I got it in 1990 it was believed to have come from Carmyliie  in Angus near Arbroath.
It had no engine-though it probably should have been a 1600-which is unobtainable on a budget and I am not puritanical since I would never sell this motor-too much blood sweat and tears on it.
The prices for Series 1 on fleabay etc leave me bewildered-do people honestly pay these prices and parts for them tend to be beyond the means of ordinary mortals, such that I worry over the future of rebuilding as a pastime.
Kind regards,
JIM