Series lll - clonking

· 7 · 1622

glasgowkiss

• LR's don't leak; they're marking their territory
    • carson.org.uk
Series lll - clonking
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:37:51 PM »
Hello all
My beloved 1972 Series suffered a hole in the differential at a driving day at Stirling last year. I patched that up and refilled it. It's fine. But since then in 2 or 4 wheel drive there is a marked clonk when turning hard left or hard right. In two wheel drive only and in low range and on full lock the car actually jumps/skips/jolts a bit to either side, which makes me wonder if it's a diff fault, or a chassis issue or suspension.
But, when I got a friend to drive it round in circles on Saturday, I noticed that the wheel on the inside of the circle (when going either left OR right) starts to jump and scrub.
And on the way to work today (have decided to run it about for two days or so to help diagnose this further) it was clonking like mad, to the point where I felt something might go.
So...my point, my question, my plea for help. Has ANYONE any idea what this might be AND if the diff needs work, who can do it? I know there are engineering guys on here with businesses as well, but I don't know who to use. I don't have the space or tools to get to this level of work/mechanics.
Cheers, chappies!
Ken
"You can't become older and wiser unless you've been young and stupid"

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Series lll - clonking
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »
If you are close to Stirling Jim, then GEMM 4x4 at Larbert would be a good start. - Assorted staff are Club members/officials.

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

stage recovery

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 01:56:07 PM »
was your diff casing punctured from inside or outside? If from inside you have most likely broken the planet gears,shrapnel then gets fired outwards. Broken bits can then cause the diff to partly lock up when turning. Suggest jacking up a rear wheel,engage 4wd and try driving,should want to come off the jack or be prepared for crunching noises!

glasgowkiss

• carson.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »
Hi
I'll try that jack thing although, if the diff is working the raised wheel should spin, is that right? Or because three wheels are on the ground will that mean it wants to pull itself off the hi-lift jack? If I do hear crunching noises, is that a good thing, or a bad thing? I'm assuming a bad thing, crunching isn't good unless it's food!!!

The puncture felt rough from the outside but the hole was tiny, the size of the inside ink plastic tube of a BIC Biro pen roughly. I'll try and attach pics of the hole and then the area I used a grinder to smooth off to get the repair stuff to hold.

Cheers

K

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:46:10 PM by glasgowkiss »

stage recovery

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »
Hi Ken,
           I assumed it was your front diff that had the problem as the noise occured when you were turning in a circle, from the pictures I would say that the rear diff has a problem and the crownwheel has forced a bit of broken metal through the rear casing. Bear in mind a series motor is rear wheel drive normally,a completely broken diff would require you to engage 4wd to get home. It could be you also have a problem in the front end like a knackered Hardyspicer joint in a front halfshaft causing your roughness when turning left or right.
  PS  did you drive on tarmac with 4wd engaged, that itself can cause your symptoms!

glasgowkiss

• carson.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
Hi
I should have said it was the rear diff, if indeed it is the diff!
I did use 4WD low range but disengaged the front free wheeling hubs thinking that would be ok.
Do you think half my severe symptoms experienced today was transmission wind up?
Cheers
Ken

stage recovery

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 11:34:27 PM »
Have had a VERY strange PM  from glasgowkiss telling me to put it on Ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!