help needed 3.9 v8

· 7 · 2014

landysam1

help needed 3.9 v8
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »
hi

Quick explanation

Fitted a 3.9 hot wire to my defender with auto box , all in place turns over from key with spark and fuel to fuel rail , suspect injectors not pulsing to inject fuel ?? .tested all components from ECU plug and all seems to be good so cant be much stopping it starting but really starting to burst my Ba**s been at it non stop during the hols but now out of time as back to work on monday.

engine ran perfect when removed from RR

Help needed please  :(

cheers
sam

Jack

• Name: Jack Griffiths
Re: help needed 3.9 v8
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
Where abouts are you?

I've not much experience with injuction but plenty with non-running v8s...

As far as possible fueling problems go, easiest check is if can you small petrol at the exhaust?
Are you definately getting enough fuel pressure from your pump?

Other than that I'd suggest checking that you're firing aprroximately 8deg before at the correct TDC and that all leads are good and in the correct order and double check the plugs are good (if it's been fueling they may well be buggered by the engine flooding, very difficult to tell)

If you've a spare coil I'd change that too just to try eliminate the chance of it causing weak spark.

Had a quick look on google and found the thread below had a quick skim and it seems to have some suggestions to do with a injections

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f42/1995-disco-v8-into-defender-wont-start-175734-3.html

Jack
1981 SIII 109 'Stage One' V8
1973 Range Rover project.

landysam1

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:20:28 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the link Jack could be a help, already seen a answer to a capacitor problem from the + side of coil. it has to be earthed mine isnt. I thought this is where it should have gone but not being very good with auto electrics i was to scared to try it . so will try tomorrow morning.

hopfuly thats the problem cos its got my head on fire

sorry i am in east ayrshire

thanks again

Sam

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:29:27 PM »
Hi,
    going over the basics, did you unplug the injection wiring from the multiplug where it joins the Range Rover harness under the dash?All the required feeds,earths and the external signals to the ecu go in on this plug and power to the fuel pump goes out on this plug, have you fitted a high pressure fuel pump to suit the injection?Have you connected the earth connections that go onto the stud at the back of one of the cylinder heads? The wiring on the coil should have an ignition feed from the ignition switch,pos to the ign amplifier and on the negative side of the coil there should be the switch wire from the amplifier and an ignition pulse signal wire(rpm signal) that goes to the injection ecu, this shows the engine is turning and the rpm it's turning so the injection ecu starts operating the injectors to suit.
Was the Land Rover always a petrol as I've had problems with diesels having been converted to petrol, the ignition switches are different and when cranking shuts off all ign power apart from the wire that went to the fuel shut off solenoid. The problem I've had was the fuel pump was shutting down when the engine was cranking due to the diesel ign switch.
Best of luck.
          Stevie.

landysam1

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
Hi stevie 

Thanks for the reply . yes all wired as you say , earths as should be and new high pressure pump. however found a fault with the rotor arm going to earth. will get a new one tomorrow and i will also check the ign switch.

Are there two types of ignition switches ?

thanks again

regards
Sam

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:12:01 PM »
Hi Sam,
           Yes, there are 2 types of ign switch for the defender. A diesel switch with the glow plug position for earlier vehicles and a petrol version. The diesel one is heavy duty and the petrol one is quite small in comparison to the diesel one. A diesel ign switch isn't a problem as long as it's wired up to suit.
Glad you've found a fault and are making headway, hopefully you'll be up and running soon.

Cheers,
          Stevie.

landysam1

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 08:35:47 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the replys and advice, Finally the beast fired into life tonight

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

a few more things to do then MOT

thanks again

cheers
Sam