Autosparks Loom

· 21 · 5753

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Autosparks Loom
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »
Its turned up.... scary stuff. Lots and lots of wire and connectors and NO instructions or labels....and the original loom is long gong, replaced by a home-made job all in Red.

I've downloaded a couple of circuit diagrams from tinternet but I'm having fun trying to ID whats what - more colour combinations on the loom than appear on the diagrams :-(

Anyone any tips of Autosparks stuff - quality looks good, a label here and there would be super !

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
Re: Autosparks Loom
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »
Gene.

What is it for.... Lightweight or ?

Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

genem

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
The lightweight Drew. A few minor issues with the last owners home-made loom  - like being able to turn off the ignition, remove the key and disconnect the battery...and still have the engine running and 10v at every fuse.  :o

First job is to try to ID the obvious stuff - I can see the wiper motor connector, theres a mass of wire that must be the instrument panel, etc etc.

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »
Is it 12 volts Gene, if so it is very easy to fit (on a par with an origional mini) if its a 24 volt then from what I remember from back in the day there was a lot of wiring going thru the bulkhead.

If it is 12 volt then I have a full colour A3 wiring diagram that I could let you borrow/copy if it will help.

Drew.

She said at my age I need something else to play with

genem

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
Its a 12v now, originally a 24v Drew. I've got the new loom spread out on a board trying to ID whats what - the colours are not the same as the diagram I have :-(

G

genem

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:09:03 PM »
Well, I made a start today.... Real "wet towel round the head" stuff. The last owner has chopped stuff about and mixed up the old wire with his own stuff, re-routing all over the shop... :-(

....and the circuit diagrams all show the dynamo version...

Still got a number of wires that I can't ID on the circuit diagram and have no idea what they are supposed to do. Unfortunately some of them are big brown jobs that look like they are supposed to carry a lot of amps !

genem

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »
This is NOT going well. Some bits are easy, peasy - all the lights, the extension to the back - easy and all as per the diagrams - but the dash/terminal connector/fusebox bit is a screaming nightmare. There are more wires than the diagrams show and in colour combinations that appear elsewhere on the diagram for radically different bits ....and if I connect up the wiper motor ( obvious connector) then the connection to the solenoid is 6in short, and vice versa.

So far all I can get is 12v from the battery to the solenoid and fuse 1, bust.

I think I'm going to strip the loom back out again tomorrow and have another test layout on the kitchen table.   

:-(

G. 

piper5

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
i take it the loom you have bought is for a series 3 and not a lightweight, i would guess the cable runs are slightly different making things appear short or long in places. also from memory the last one i did had extra wires in the loom and a few spare connectors, i never did find out what they did, we reckoned they were in the loom to cope with options on earlier models like dynamo or alternator and bulkhead regulator.

post up here what groups of wires are an issue and i will dig out the wiring diagrams , i have a hand drawn set from a landrover autospark

genem

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »
No, its a Lightweight loom, got the distribution panel and 6 way switch stuff. I also asked for the alternator mod, which comes as a seperate cable package ( 2 brown, 1 yellow) so I imagine a couple of the other wires are, as you say, dynamo related.....but.

I'll head out after dinner and make a list of "issues" - It'll help me focus as well !

Thanks,

G.

genem

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »
Right.... Heres the bits that have me confused:

In the dash:

1. A small light fitting on 6 inches of green/purple wire plus earth, taped to a green brown wire coming out of the loom. Nothing visible that it could plug into.

2. Another light fitting on a white cable spurred to 6 inches of blue and white.

3. 2 x single thin white wire

4. a white and a yellow wire, taped together, with bullet connectors - Ignition light ? - but thats got two tiny spade connectors....

5. 2 x Green/Brown wires.

6. A single heavy duty brown wire

7. A single dark green wire

8. A twin brown wire terminating in an O connector and a red/white wire - Should be attached to solenoid (?) but are at least 30cm too short to reach.

9. Nothing that seems to fit the bill of a connection to the Start button.

Under the bonnet:

1. 2 x very HD brown wires, currently in mid-air above the oil filter.

General area of the fuse box

1. A spare twin white

2. A HD brown

3. A LD brown

...and no brown "feed" wire to the bottom of the terminal block

Extra bits of loom.

1.  A 30 cm long green/brown and green/purple in a sleeve.

2. Another sleeved bundle comprising green/white, grren/red, green/brown and black/white.

Mighty confused !!

Gene.

Alarmgard

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:38:18 PM »
Can you not just ring Autosparks and ask them tomorrow, would seem to be a lot easier than being confused  :)
Colin Rodger

Marshals needed for CompSafari's give me a call if you can help.
Email:colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile: 07767726075

genem

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:49:44 PM »
Can you not just ring Autosparks and ask them tomorrow, would seem to be a lot easier than being confused  :)

Thats exactly what I plan to do Roger !  Its starnge, because all the rest of the loom makes perfect sense and seems to fit really well.

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »
Good luck gene looks a night mare !!!
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

Alarmgard

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 09:55:33 PM »
It just had me thinking Gene that they probably have a standard layout that they use for all their lighweight looms and have adapted them to suit various problems/issues over the year's and they will be selling a few more than people fit so rather than others guessing on here, you get it straight from the horses mouth, saving your time.
Colin Rodger

Marshals needed for CompSafari's give me a call if you can help.
Email:colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile: 07767726075

piper5

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 10:13:13 PM »
ok been thru my wiring some bits make sense lots dont

1 shows as a dash bulb, backlight?
2 tacho bulb
3 oil pressure light on dash
5 indicator telltales on the dash
6 aux 12v banana plug the other wire is tagged as nr3 possibly the other green you have?

extra bits your 30cm bit matches the colours to the water temp and oil press sensors.

none of your engine bay stuff makes sense
but here is some colours
starter solenoid has  wy wn n n
starter relay  b n wr wn
alternator n nb