Stainless Exhaust

· 20 · 5043

Greigboy

Re: Stainless Exhaust
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 05:53:10 PM »
Yeah I seen the Rimmer Bros ones, they do an OE spec one in stainless for about £350, however the standard bore on the V8 is like a pea shooter, so I wanted something something a little bigger.

It was due to be done today and back tonight, unfortunately despite assurances the hedman headers I got off here a while back don't appear to want to fit a "Defender" so that has halted progress somewhat  >:(
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

rangerovering

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 09:49:16 AM »
In what way do the hedmans not fit? Have they splayed out?
Steve

Greigboy

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »

I've not got the car back yet, and I've not seen them, but I'm told they were fouling at certain points requiring a bit of fettling and run close to the starter, requiring the wiring to be re-routed, the guy making the exhaust is of the opinion that they were perhaps for a different model, ( disco or RRC???)

But they are on now and all is apparently well, I pick it up tonight so fingers crossed

rangerovering

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 12:40:58 PM »

I've not got the car back yet, and I've not seen them, but I'm told they were fouling at certain points requiring a bit of fettling and run close to the starter, requiring the wiring to be re-routed, the guy making the exhaust is of the opinion that they were perhaps for a different model, ( disco or RRC???)

But they are on now and all is apparently well, I pick it up tonight so fingers crossed

Dimensionally the engine block and heads are the same whichever model Land Rover (or TVR Morgan etc etc) the V8 is fitted to. Most of the starter motors are much the same too. The defender chassis is the same as RR around the engine area.

Its not uncommon for them to need some tweaks, I had blocks of wood jammed between the chassis rail and collector just to reshape it to clear adequately. Good news they are on!
Steve

Greigboy

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 07:01:37 PM »
I picked the car up about an hour ago, my engine had some form of prehistoric EGR system on it when I got it which I removed, however the manifolds were fouling on the capped ports that were sticking out of the head and the manifolds required a wee bit ground off to clear these.
The drivers side manifold is pretty close to the starter but I don't think it will be an issue.

I've not had a chance to have a good look at the stainless system, but it sounds great with a far deeper tone, it also feels very different to drive.