Stainless Exhaust

· 20 · 5042

Greigboy

Stainless Exhaust
« on: January 13, 2016, 06:05:33 PM »
The exhaust on my factory 90 V8 is shot having only replaced it with a mild steel paddocks one just under 2 years ago.

As I intend on keeping it for many years to come I'm going to bite the bullet and go stainless, I already have a set of mild steel headman branch manifolds, so I'm looking from the manifolds back to be done in stainless.

Off the shelf stainless systems complete with stainless branch manifolds are circa £650, however I don't need the manifolds (which are often the expensive part) so for a Y pipe and the remainder I was figuring circa £350 give or take, however I got a quote from C&C custom exhausts in Glasgow and they quoted £700 for a simple one box system without the branch manifolds, which seems extortionate to me??

Can anyone (based on experience)recommend a stainless exhaust place in west or central Scotland who are likely to be more realistic?

Cheers
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

Lurch032003

• Name: John wilkie
Re: Stainless Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »
Hi Greg ,
Have you considered buying the tubbing and making your own as must be cheaper ? I not sure if this is a option or if anyone else has done it and how much it costs as have read of folk on the S2c forum of doing it plus I be interested if anyone recommends as may consider price dependant for my Landy also.
Cheers
John
I'm not lost I'm just slow getting there.

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »
I have a similair issue with my 130 v8, I've owned it for 9 years and decided remortgaging to buy a stainless system was a bit much. I had a set of Janspeed manifolds and y piece, stuck with the standard 110 v8 back box and bought the extra bits I needed from Merlin Motorsport to make up a straight through centre section. Exhausts last 2-3 years on this but the pattern parts are cheap enough to warrant replacing it when needed.
It also has a nice note with only the back box while still keeping the standard 50mm diameter pipe.

Greigboy

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »
Hi Greg ,
Have you considered buying the tubbing and making your own as must be cheaper ? I not sure if this is a option or if anyone else has done it and how much it costs as have read of folk on the S2c forum of doing it plus I be interested if anyone recommends as may consider price dependant for my Landy also.
Cheers
John

Hi John, I'm a time served panel beater so have no fear of welding and fabrication and have repaired and modified dozens of mild steel exhausts, but I'm no longer doing it as the day job and I don't have the time, facilities or tooling to bend the pipe and and the landy is the daily driver at the mo, so I can't have it sitting with its throat cut.

If I can't get stainless at sensible money then I will probably go for another standard one, but hopefully that's a last resort

Lurch032003

• Name: John wilkie
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:41:11 PM »
Hi Greg ,
Cheers
John

Hi John, I'm a time served panel beater so have no fear of welding and fabrication and have repaired and modified dozens of mild steel exhausts, but I'm no longer doing it as the day job and I don't have the time, facilities or tooling to bend the pipe and and the landy is the daily driver at the mo, so I can't have it sitting with its throat cut.

If I can't get stainless at sensible money then I will probably go for another standard one, but hopefully that's a last resort

Hi Greg ,
Yes I could remember that you did something professionally before hence my asking if it would be cheaper to do yourself wasn't a where you where no longer able to get facilities to do so hence you wishing to buy one ready made at a good price, I hope somebody is reading this with a place soon as know the pain of not having a daily drive I wish I still had my pipe bender as would say pop round and use the stuff here to make one as might of been a cheaper option saying that got my eye on a pipe bender so yet may be able to provide the means to make your own at some point if you ever wished.
Here hoping that a positive lead us given soon I will try have google about see if I can find one close to me that may be of use.
Cheers john
I'm not lost I'm just slow getting there.

oilcan

• Name: Raymond Boyd
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 06:54:34 AM »
Search out double s possibly SS exhausts. The D2 boys use them and are very happy with them and the price a full system for a TD5 runs in around £250 but im guessing a V8 may be a but more if I find a link ill post it on here for you

oilcan

• Name: Raymond Boyd
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 07:32:02 AM »
Search out double s possibly SS exhausts. The D2 boys use them and are very happy with them and the price a full system for a TD5 runs in around £250 but im guessing a V8 may be a but more if I find a link ill post it on here for you
Here you go http://www.stainlesssteelexhausts.com/

rangerovering

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 03:56:21 PM »
Griffin make nice exhausts and good quality, double S as well. If you want to do a whole system the best tubular manifolds are from Hedman which are available from Real Steel
Steve

Greigboy

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 07:20:10 PM »
Griffin make nice exhausts and good quality, double S as well. If you want to do a whole system the best tubular manifolds are from Hedman which are available from Real Steel

It's a set of Hedman headers I have, but I don't have the Y pipe to go with them, so I'm needing from the bottom of the headers back made to suit the hedman's. Most off the shelf stainless systems come with headers, but I don't fancy paying another £300 for matching headers when I have a perfectly good set already.

There is a guy on LRO who done exactly what I'm proposing using headman headers with no Y pipe and had a one box stainless system made from the bottom of the hedman's and it was £250, that was a couple of years ago so I figured £350 maybe slightly more, but £700 without manifolds was taking the piss methinks.

I've been advised to try Simon's custom exhausts in Eask Kilbride, it's just trying to get the time at the moment that's the killer  :-\

Thanks for the link and the PM Raymond, I'll bear it in mind

diesel jock

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 09:43:18 PM »
Meerkat exhausts in kilbirnie are the boys for the job few of my mates have had exhausts done by them for cars and tractors

rangerovering

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 09:50:44 PM »

It's a set of Hedman headers I have, but I don't have the Y pipe to go with them, so I'm needing from the bottom of the headers back made to suit the hedman's. Most off the shelf stainless systems come with headers, but I don't fancy paying another £300 for matching headers when I have a perfectly good set already.

There is a guy on LRO who done exactly what I'm proposing using headman headers with no Y pipe and had a one box stainless system made from the bottom of the hedman's and it was £250, that was a couple of years ago so I figured £350 maybe slightly more, but £700 without manifolds was taking the piss methinks.

I've been advised to try Simon's custom exhausts in Eask Kilbride, it's just trying to get the time at the moment that's the killer  :-\

Thanks for the link and the PM Raymond, I'll bear it in mind

OK definitely keep the hedmans they have the biggest collectors and give the best midrange punch. You could get a y pipe from a v8 disco or rrc, the later models have a decent bore, you can weld the right flared joints on.  From there back an off the shelf system should fit if that's the way you want to go.

Steve

Greigboy

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 07:20:39 PM »
Went to Simons customs in East Kilbride and got a quoted £50 to fit the headers and £350 to do the rest in 2.5 inch stainless.
That's bang on budget and I'm happy with that so it goes in on the 23rd  8)

rover51

• rover51
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 03:08:12 PM »
Went to Simons customs in East Kilbride and got a quoted £50 to fit the headers and £350 to do the rest in 2.5 inch stainless.

let us know how you get on.
in east kilbride and with me and the mrs looking at stainless steel exhausts for the disco and 110 it might be handy to book in with this lot.
I wish I knew more,
But then, don't we all.

Greigboy

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 09:08:08 PM »

let us know how you get on.
in east kilbride and with me and the mrs looking at stainless steel exhausts for the disco and 110 it might be handy to book in with this lot.

He has done a couple for guys on the L200 forum and they were happy enough to recommend him.

It goes in a week today and I'll get it back on Monday 25th, so I'll let you know.

Un fortunately my Jimny is still off the road and I only have the 90 at the mo and was going to attempt a repair on the existing one to get me through the week, but it's as crispy as a disco 2 chassis, so little point for the sake of a few days.

Rambler

• Name: Ron Murdoch
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
I got a stainless exhaust system from Rimmer Bros for my 101 ambi 10 years ago with lifetime guarantee, I think for about £250., and it has been absolutely fine with no issues, apart from recently a loose baffle in the silencer. I would be happy to recommend them. Not sure whether the guarantee is on the exhaust's or my lifetime!