Wiper motor relay ????

· 9 · 1976

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
Wiper motor relay ????
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »
 :) Looking for the relay for the wiper motor on my 1987 90". I have just changed the motor and assembly but they only work on full pelt. According to the book for my year the relays are supposed to be at the fuse box or behind the facia.. Is there an actual relay or am I looking in the wrong place..Oh and the switch is fine ....   Thanks.. ???  ???
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

piper5

Re: Wiper motor relay ????
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:25:16 AM »
theres relays behind the fuse panel on mine

Dunc

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:30:28 AM »
 :)   Thanks Piper5 I have checked all the relays at the fuse box and behind the facia and am now wondering if I have missed some in the engine bay ???
   My year of model does not have relays under the driver's seat............Help  !!!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:49:22 AM by Dunc »

piper5

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
you say you have checked behind the fascia what do you mean by that?
my motor has a plastic panel you remove to access the fuses and two relays, you can then remove four screws and the whole metal panel complete with fuses pulls down, there is relays screwed to the back of that, the only other relays i know of are behind the speedo etc, my motor is an E reg 110.
theres also a switching arrangement on the wiper motor itself maybe worth a look

Dunc

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »
  Sorry,i have checked the 5 relays that are behind the fuse box, the 2 behind the speedo facia panel at the wiper motor there is only the motor,the screw rod that works the mechanism and the plug that connects the wiring.me thinks I will recheck the switch on the steering column.???????

allyipod

• Name: Ally Conlon
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »
I know my wiper relay lives behind the fuse box 300tdi
mm0pod

Dunc

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
 >:( Right I am now getting a bit frustrated with this, 1987 Defender 90 300 tdi, I have found 5 relays behind the fuse box,2 behind the speedo facia and 1 in the bulkhead which are not the wiper relay.I am now starting to think ( I'm going mad ) there isn't one or I'm totally missing it as the manual does state even in the wiring diagrams there is one there!!! The switch seems ok as I've checked it with a meter.   Any help appreciated as its driving me crazy now...     Thanks   Duncan  !!!

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »
There is only a wiper relay if there is an intermittent wipe facility fitted. On earlier 90/110s you have 2 speeds and if you push the switch down it wipes once and stops.Auxilliary feed goes to the wiper switch and when you select the speed you want supplies the power to the wiper motor, the other wires are for the park circuit and the earth. Unplug the 5 pin plug at the motor and, with the ign on, use a test lamp to probe the appropriate pins in the wiper motor plug corresponding to the speed selected at the switch. If the lamp lights you have power coming from the switch to the motor and the fault lies with the motor, if not move back to the wiper switch and check that there is power coming from the switch. If there's no power it's the switch at fault and if there is power coming from the switch but not reaching the motor check the wires between the switch and the motor plug for continuity in case there is a break in one of them. Always check you have a good earth connection between the motor plug and the ring terminal that screws to the bulkhead at the motor.

all the best,
                 Stevie.

Dunc

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 09:36:11 PM »
 :) :) :) :)  Thanks mate I will check tomorrow, it is now making a bit more sense..  Cheers Duncan