recovery points

· 8 · 2082

kevin18050

recovery points
« on: March 14, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
hi i just replaced my rear crossmember and lost my towbar thinking about recovery points are jate rings up to it?

Dave T

Re: recovery points
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
Up to it, yes, but convieient, probably not when stuck in mud. I went for a Nato hitch, easily accessible safe.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »
hi i just replaced my rear crossmember and lost my towbar thinking about recovery points are jate rings up to it?

A bridle between two jate rings is probably about as safe as you can get. Not much cop for pulling a trailer mind :-) 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

kevin18050

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »
cheers guy's sounds like a plan my old disco can do the towing for now  :)

aqms987

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »
Hi
 Just a caution, if you fit a NATO hitch, make sure you also fit the re-inforcing plate on the inside of the cross member.
 If you don't you will find that the bolts can pull through and the cross member can distort thus ruining a nice new cross member.

Regards

Allan

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »
Fitting anything that will take a load should be using a spreader plate.... and attached to the chassis!

(anyone else seen the center of a front-bumper come sailing off a motor: tow-ball, an 18" wide spreader-plate, and the shredded middle of the bumper....? )

geoff

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »
Hi

My uncles front bumper came off whilst being recovered by Geoff Harold a few years ago.
Two new rear lights were required ;D
Luckily though, nobody was standing there.

Geoff

Graeme

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
there was a period (in the clubs history) when all recovery points were inspected for compliance with amended club rules.after several cross members/ tow points were removed from there owners vehicles by recovery one spectacular moment was glenifer brae when the rear adj hitch departed and sailed over the other vehicle to land buried at the front lady luck must have been shinning on the club that day :o :o :o