looking for a offroad club to join

· 25 · 5682

Sandy

Re: looking for a offroad club to join
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 09:15:24 AM »
Mudpuddle,

So who gets "hung up because they are in A CLUB."? I think we should be told!

And how does the club with no membership fee get the money to do all the routine things that most clubs need to do? For example, if you hold a Driving Day and need to hire toilets, set out a course or put up a tent how does that get funded. I suspect you are describing a group, perhaps a small one, but not a club. Nothing wrong with that but not sure how it works.

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more - maybe we can abandon the subs., sack Steve James and all have a (free) party!

Kind regards,

Sandy.

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 11:13:45 AM »
Out of interest, does the club have any rules regarding owners of untaxed/ unMOT'd vehicles producing proof of insurance before the vehicle is allowed to take part in an event. Unfortunately these days too often no tax and no MOT also means no insurance (Please don't take that the wrong way - I realise there are numerous properly insured untaxed/untested vehicles around).  At least if a car is taxed it also has insurance of some sort, even if it is only 3rd party.
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

coolcamper55

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »
Mudpoodle,

You seem quite happy to enjoy this forum which is funded by the SLROC membership. obviously a man of principles ;D ;D

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »
Out of interest, does the club have any rules regarding owners of untaxed/ unMOT'd vehicles producing proof of insurance before the vehicle is allowed to take part in an event. Unfortunately these days too often no tax and no MOT also means no insurance (Please don't take that the wrong way - I realise there are numerous properly insured untaxed/untested vehicles around).  At least if a car is taxed it also has insurance of some sort, even if it is only 3rd party.
good point tim, especialy at driving days........at least on tyro/rtv etc theres a scrutineering check on vehicles. no checks made on vehicles on driving days
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

mudpuddle

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 03:41:17 PM »
Sorry did,nt mean to offend anyone and yes it is good to use the forum and look at the for sale and technical sides, I was just pointing out that some people dont have the time to go to club events and travel due to other comitments. But if they wanted to still enjoy some offroading and banter between others who enjoy Land Rovers they can.  :-[

Sandy

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
Tim,

Normal insurance unlikely to cover off-road competitive events. And because a vehicle is taxed that doesn't mean the insurance is still in force - it could run out after the vehicle has been taxed.

Kind regards,

Sandy.

Tim

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 01:16:44 PM »
Thanks Sandy
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 11:25:49 AM »
As Sandy points out: just because the vehicle has a tax disk, and the owner has a piece of paper relating to the insurance, this doesn't actually help us: MOTs are done electronically, and insurance can be voided after the paper has been sent.

An MOT test really only certifies a vehicles as being up to a standard ON THAT DAY, one could put on all the bits that make the 90 pass an MOT for one day, and then swap back to the tyres that stick 4" beyond the bodywork; the home-made winch-bumper with sharp edges; the straight-through exhaust; and open up the fuel-pump again (who cares about black reek.... it's behind you!!)

Insurance is only valid for as long as the car has an MOT, for as long as you & the vehicle match the description held by the insurance company (do they know about the after-market side-steps?), and up until the time you try to claim on the insurance (where-upon the insurance company could look for every excuse for not paying :innocent look: )

For an organisation to check the [road] legality of a vehicle, they need a connection into the VOSA database, and that just ain't gonna happen from the middle of a muddy field, on a wet november morning, on a Sunday.

.... and, anyway - does YOUR insurance cover you when driving off the public highway?
(I pay extra on my insurance so that I'm covered when setting up events & officiating at events.... but that took time to get sorted)

sthrifty

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »
I have had no bother getting offroad cover with Lancaster and Adrian flux as long as i am not taking part in a timed trial(think its roughly an extra ?20 or so
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

Tim

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 04:47:24 PM »
Ian, yes both my cars are covered by Land Rover Insurance thats why I asked. My cover includes off-road use and off-road recovery too. The Defender costs me ?165pa a year fully comp, restricted to 5000 miles. The 2010 Range Rover costs me ?350 pa for the same cover but 12000 miles a year. As John says competition use isn't covered but I don't compete so I'm not worried.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:53:18 PM by Tim »