Disco 1 sunroof drain cup broken

· 5 · 1412

Scoosh

• Name: David McLaren
Disco 1 sunroof drain cup broken
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
I decided it was time to sort the leaking sunroof issue, so have the headlining etc removed and, rather than the drain tubes becoming detached from the wee drain cups, one of the cups is actually shattered.  :o

Stratstone LR don't have a part number for it and it doesn't appear to be a separate item in the LR drawings either.  It's just there in the corner of the Clamping Frame Assembly http://homepage.virgin.net/mark.hopkins2/LRWI10.jpg [top RH in this pic]

It's the right rear cup and really is broken beyond repair.  How ??  ["It's a Land Rover", I guess  ::)]

Can anyone help with either a part, a part number or, more likely - a good idea/suggestion of what I can do to make a replacement ?   ???

All suggestions gratefully received ...
If at first you don't succeed -
use a bigger hammer

Scoosh

Re: Disco 1 sunroof drain cup broken
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »
Removed the Lower Tray (Clamping Frame Assy) and got all the bits of drain cup out, applied superglue and have a working frame around/into which I will attempt to pour Araldite* to make a more permanent sealing fitting, then more sealant to stick it onto the tray, then reseal the outside of the roof, replace the Lower Tray, then - just maybe  - I might have a dry-inside Disco (after I've done the same to the front, of course  ::) )

TBH, I've been using the instructions in the Oct/Nov/Dec 2010 LRO Workshop section and it has not been as difficult as I had convinced myself it would be.

I might soon be able to offer advice to others in a similar predicament  :-[.

*Any alternative suggestions to Araldite ?? - I don't had a great track record with the stuff ...
use a bigger hammer

piper5

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 02:24:26 PM »
i was told by tay landrover a few years ago that the sunroofs were the same as peugot 205 roofs maybe worth a look

gary1968

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
When the cup in my Series II Disco broke is covered it the roof flashing material, the black bitumen sticks to itself type stuff, about a tenner from B&Q. Did the job mate.

Gary

Scoosh

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »
Thanks for the responses and suggestions.  :)

I've managed to stick something together and (once it stops raining) will see about putting it all back together again.

Here's hoping .....

I had my eye on a paint sample pot, though ...  ;)
use a bigger hammer