Cumbria green roads

· 18 · 7672

Dave T

Cumbria green roads
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:21:59 PM »
Just heading back up the M6 after a brilliant day out in Cumbrias green lanes.

We had five cars, AJM and Kev91 in D3s, Euan and his brother in his D4, fost long strider and Stepheno in Defenders, I hitched a ride with Stephen.

We travelled to Windermere manor hotel Monday evening, at £55 b&b for a twin room it was very reasonable and a lot lot better than I was expecting.

First thing today we firstly went to the High Breast Road, what a great green road, and yes it was very narrow in a couple of places.

We then headed back to the Windermere ferry, £4.30 per car, and then up to Grizedale, another superb track.

From there we did high tibertwaite, the best one of the day for me, where Kev managed to get a cut tyre, but got out before we needed to change his wheel, that was the only casualty of the day.

We then ended up on the old coach road, with the light fading quickly.

I think the quality of the lanes surprised all of us, and that we would all highly recommend a day out here.

I have a few hundred photos to upload which I will put a few up and link to the rest, probably tomorrow. I will also put up the link for the Cumbria council website which has some superb information on hundreds of green lanes, and post which ones we did.

Only another hour and a half in this damm defender now, my a***e is just getting so numb!
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
Re: Cumbria green roads
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
should have asked first - local knowledge etc  ;)

http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

plans are afoot to invite you all down over the summer for a long weekend/camping/talking shite/bbq/etc

prof  ;D
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time

Dave T

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 08:45:36 PM »
We did.... Via Disco 3 forum..........  ;) ;)
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:58:25 PM »
Sounds like an excellent trip Dave -pity I had to work!

Prof Pat - sounds like a grand plan - I had been considering running a GRR weekend to north of England, with camping, but didn't have time for it this year. Would be great to do it next summer, with some local knowledge to help planning -will be in touch again nearer the time, Alan

Dave T

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 12:59:37 PM »
Alan, it was a great day out, however a couple of points to consider for a club trip.

We went midweek and in the late autumn, for us the roads and green lanes were very quiet, I have no idea about weekends and in the summer, but I would hazard a guess and say it would be very busy, so may limit the amount you can do.

We had five cars, two with passengers to jump out for gates and spotting. Anymore cars than that in a group or without spotters/gate openers I think would make for very slow progress, there were times when the walkers were overtaking us!

The lanes we went on weren't anything like GRRs you run, there  were a couple of really quite severe sections, which were all doable even in the most modern cars, but some of the normal GRR participents may not like them too much and there is no detour available.

Photos here

http://s243.photobucket.com/user/davetomlin/library/Off%20Roading/131112%20Cumbria%20Green%20Roads?sort=3&page=1#/user/davetomlin/library/Off%20Roading/131112%20Cumbria%20Green%20Roads?sort=3&page=3&_suid=138443379356206868186677503858

1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
Looks like  you guys  had fun. Hopefully get something organised next year. I'm surprised you never took the  Disco though and done it in comfort!

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »
I have participated in several GRR type outing organised by the Disco3.co.uk forums and helped to organise one at Weardale Offroad Centre with a local member down there. The idea was to get people who use their D3/D4/RRS as a school run/shopping trolley to try it on a pay and play site that had something for everyone. In the evenings we then went out and drove some of the lanes of Northumberland in the Weardale area. It was a very well attended weekend and there are some brilliant lanes and rights of way down there too.

I don't know if they still arrange the runs but the Lake District National Park Authority used to run supervised outings one day a month on the Gatescarth Pass - up to 8 vehicles and 24 trials bikes were allowed, vehicles were inspected for suitability to drive the route and use of Mud Terrain or more aggressive tyres was prohibited.
My 90 was featured in an LRM item on the run written by Bob Morrison.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:34:20 AM by Tim »
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

Land Rogie

• Name: Eileen Knight
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 03:02:06 PM »
Looks like great fun but I think realistically I'd certainly need an experienced passenger with me for some sections to avoid disaster...at least to begin with but I'd certainly be interested...

Dave T

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
Euan, in the red Discovery 4, it was his first trip off road. It was all nice and slow with spotters where required.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »
As Dave says Eileen, even if you didn't have a passenger we all helped each other. There wasn't anything to major to be honest. The D4 ended up with a scratch on an alloy (which was his off road set) and I think a slight bend on his side step which he fixed the next day without any trouble.
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

prof-pat-pending

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 01:32:04 PM »
bit of a taster for you's lot who are comming down in the 'summer' (warmer rain)  ::)
and not one of these are in the lakes - but all in cumbria  8)

maybe a bit much for you highlanders with them coiley springs and shiney paintwork  :'(

see here -
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/events-and-days-out/sunday-16th-feb-the-day-out/

cant remmember who asked but remind me and i will send you the routes  ;)

prof

ps it was a great day out  ;D  ;D  ;D

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 02:20:34 PM »
A lot of that looks familiar, all that was managed in a D4 as well as D3's & Defenders.

We'll be down next month to do some more! Looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:43:34 PM by StephenO »
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

Dave T

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
First lot is the breast high road, we did it the other way (water crossing first)
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

prof-pat-pending

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »
First lot is the breast high road, we did it the other way (water crossing first)

correct (of course)
much more interesting the other way  ???

other lanes shown are - the water crossing at ormside , some of many lanes around the bottom side of alston (some proper greenlanes - and others with landowner consent) , comming down from hartside cafe the back way on to the old telecom road

other lanes were done that join them all up but photo's were not taken on all due to time constraints  ::) - something to do with the one and only coiler that joined in getting stuck a lot  ::) - i only tell it as it is  ???

SJF

• Name: Stuart Ford
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 09:45:06 PM »
When you planning next trip dave