Starter Motor Problems

· 6 · 1351

Tommy B

Starter Motor Problems
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
Hi, currently having problems with the starter motor on my Defernder 90.  A few weeks back the starter would occasionally 'click' but not fire up the engine.  I disconected and cleaned the +ve & -ve terminals, and for a while that sorted the problem.  However, the problem's started again.  I've renewed the +ve (spade) connection, but it still doesn't always start first time.  Any easy way of telling if the starter motor is the problem, or if the connection need more work?

Cheers,

Tom.   
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

bilko68

Re: Starter Motor Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »
i would check your earth straps, battery to chassis and the rest

Tommy B

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
Good point - I did clean the earth-to-starter connecting, but I'll check the other end of the earth lead.

I'm kinda figuring that as the starter does fire up eventually, the starter itself must be ok.  However, this theory could well be wrong!

Tom
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

geoff

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:33:49 PM »
Hi

Is it a TD5. The contacts inside can burn out. There is a repair kit available

cheers

geoff

Tommy B

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »

Yes, its a TD5. 

How easy is it to replace the contacts? 

Cheers.

Tom

diesel jock

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »
Hi mate its a really simple job,disconnect battery,disconnect main lead from starter remove 3 bolts from solenoid cover pop cover off pull out solenoid plunger remove nut from main lead stud and push stud into solenoid body one contact is attached to this stud and the other is at the opposite side.make sure both contacts are level if not this can  cause them to wear out quicker. The contacts cost me 50p each at my local auto sparks or you get a kit including new plunger for 10quid from repair kits uk.
Cheers
Stewart