Td5 Defender - bad vibrations

· 10 · 4170

Tommy B

Td5 Defender - bad vibrations
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:19:11 PM »

Just drove up from Yorkshire today with the Defender playing up!!  Felt like really bad vibrations from approx 35mph up to about 60mph when accelerating, but ok when driving normally or slowing down.  This makes me think that it wasn't a mechanical vibration as I first thought, but engine mis-firing.  The red connector to the ecu was covered in oil - cleaned it up as best I could at the side of the road, but it didn't make much (any!) difference.
Would I need to check this with a nanocom to confirm if it is a mis-fire, if yes, is there anyone in the Livingston area who could help?
How can I check if it's a mechanical vibration without driving down the road and leaning out the door to look under the car - don't want to fall out and run myself over!!
Appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Tom.
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

barrym3

Re: Td5 Defender - bad vibrations
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
hi mate check the uj on the prop shafts i would bet money that this is your problem
i know a guy in livingston deals with 4x4 repairs if your stuck but you will be able to check yourself

Tommy B

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:35:37 PM »
Cheers Barry - excuse my ignorance, but what I'm I looking for on the UJ's.  I did have a look to see if everything was ok, and didn't see much wrong.  I'll have a closer look at the UJ's in the morning, but not sure what I'm looking for!

Tom.

Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

barrym3

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:11:50 PM »
put it in neutral handbrake off on level put a brick at wheel go under and use both hands shake and turn prop shafts see if there is any play it should be tite the bearings will be worn - mine was the same not expensive though only ?12
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:48:01 AM by Pilot Custard »

DRH

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »
Tommy

When mine had a misfire it was the injector wiring loom IN THE HEAD - with oil running down the pins at the head end and saturating the plug.  I couldn't get a loom (?40 odds from GEMM)so I sprayed brake cleaner into the plug and dried out with a hair dryer.  Misfire went away and ran until I replaced the loom

It's worth a try.

Duncan

Tommy B

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 02:12:35 PM »
Spot on Barry.  Rear uj has a lot of movement.  Need to order a new one!!
Duncan - I'll clean out the ecu connector as well.  Surprised no-one has developed a wee oil baffle thingy to go in between the ecu and plug to stop oil getting into the socket (might have to fire off a proposal to the Dragons Den!!).

Cheers,

barrym3

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 03:25:10 PM »
no problem mate glad to help you going to drumclog tomorrow

rangerovering

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
Remove the ECU and stand it up on the socket, any oil inside will drain out. May help eliminate future problems when it fills up with the stuff!
Steve

Tommy B

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:50:20 PM »
New UJ joint ordered & recieved from MM4x4 - ?7.50 (+vat) and excellent service as usual.  Big thanks to Gary for fitting it to the prop!!  Sorry for not getting back to you about Drumclog Barry.  Couldn't have made it before it was fixed.  Never been to Drumclog before, but I'll watch out for the next time and will try to make it.
Removed the ecu and gave it and the plug a good clean out.  Guess I'll ned to replace the wiring sometime soon!

Cheers for the help & advice

Tom. 

gary1968

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »
Nae probs Bro, I still owe you a fews hours work I think for the help you gave me when I was doing up my Freelander.......   ;D

Gaz