Speedo Not Working - Defender Td5

· 5 · 3707

Tommy B

Speedo Not Working - Defender Td5
« on: December 23, 2010, 10:11:25 PM »

Basically what the title says - for some reason my speedo has stopped working.  Hopefully its something simple, but any clues would be appreciated.

Cheers, Tom. 
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

MudBucket

Re: Speedo Not Working - Defender Td5
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »
hi,

do you have ABS and traction control?

if not then the speedo is connected via a spinning cable from the transfer box to the instrument. sometimes the square profile of the wire gets rounded and the speedo stops working. also check the cable is connected all the way. there are connection points which can be opened accidentally. Other problens can include the worm gear in the transfer box being worn out (i think it is nylon.. but not sure)

if you have abs etc then the signals from the hall sensors on the hubs are not getting to the ecu, or the signal from the ecu is not getting to the instrument panel. check the ecu for oil in the big edge connectors, etc etc.

Tommy B

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »
Hi,
No, I don't have abs or traction control.  I think I read somewhere that the TD5 do not have a cable operated speedo, its controlled by the ecu.  To be honest, it's been too cold and dark to start stripping down the instrument binicle to see what the problem is, I was hoping there was a simpler solution.  I'll have a lok at the ecu in the morning.

Cheers,

Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

MudBucket

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »
Hi Tommy,

from what I see in the manual the td5 has a speedo transducer attached to the transfer box, you could try cleaning all the connections from there.

the transducer looks to be connected in where the spinning cable one would fit on an older machine. just behind the handbrake drum.

cheers,

Stephen

aqms987

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 08:44:58 PM »
Hi Tommy
 As mudbucket says, the speedo on my (2005) 110 TD5 has a transducer type device fitted where the speedo drive would be on an older type 110, suggest you check the cables as they can be damaged quite readily.

Regards