geoffg

Freelander Handbrake Seizing
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:33:30 AM »
Now that the damper, colder weather is here, our Freelander's back brakes stick on overnight. They release with a bang when first reversing down the drive. It never occurred during the summertime. I've had the drums off and can't see anything wrong or out of place. Has anyone any ideas?
Cheers
Geoff
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:01:38 AM by geoffg »

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
Re: Freelander Handbrake Siezing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:58:42 AM »
mine does this occasionaly as well but not just in winter....i always check temperture after a decent run just to make sure brakes are not binding on a drive. did wonder if it was the brakes or transmission. brakes are a lot cheaper though lol
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

rangerovering

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »
Don't suppose the drum is dirty or the shoes have worn a groove that gets them stuck? The handbrake on my RR does that when parked on a forward slope. Tried adjusting the rods but it's no better. Think I will try new shoes next.
Steve

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Yeah, have the same problem with our Freebie, lucky driveway is flat so usually just leave in gear or got into habit of moving forwards 6inches before going in reverse - I put it down to having character rather than a problem lol.
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

geoff

Re: Freelander Handbrake Seizing
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »
Hi

Smear the inside of the drum with coppaslip, should stop it sticking.

CairnsAndrew

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
Hi

I'm sure most of us here know he is kidding. But people googling this probpem might find your fix. And while I would like to see less freelanders on the road. They still wear the badge.

So please don't do this.
1972 Series 3, Currently under restoration
1994 3dr Disco 200tdi

geoff

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:12:07 PM »
Now that the damper, colder weather is here, our Freelander's back brakes stick on overnight. They release with a bang when first reversing down the drive. It never occurred during the summertime. I've had the drums off and can't see anything wrong or out of place. Has anyone any ideas?
Cheers
Geoff

aye, sell it

geoff

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:16:03 PM »

geoffg

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 07:50:01 AM »
Hi

I tried it and it seemed to work perfectly till this morning when I got to the bottom of the road. Freelander is now parked in Saline Motors showroom on top of a Nissan Micra!!
 :P

aqms987

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 11:17:38 PM »
Hi
 Must be a common fault, I had difficulties with the park brake sticking on on my Freelander 1 (Dec 2004) despite being main dealer serviced.
 I thought the problem was finished with when I bought a Freelander two 2009 reg but the problem came back recently so I complained when I put the vehicle in for service last week main dealer again! They claimed to have "serviced" the park brake separately under warranty (14000 miles!) so I will see what the winter brings. I found that with the Fr1 I had to adjust the "Self adjusting" rear brakes myself periodically to keep the park brake operational so there is clearly an underlying design issue. Iknow that the use of cheap unlined park brake cables can be an issue but were genuine parts on the FR1 and surely are on my FR2. The cheap cables on the market do not have the plastic coating on the inner cables in my experience.

AQMS987