V8 Exhausts!

· 7 · 1388

bertracoon1616

V8 Exhausts!
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
Hey guys

Just sent my 3.9 Disco for its MOT and im failry confident in everyhting apart form the exhaust which has a bit of a hole on the back box and a nasty intermittent rattle coming from the cat.

I was thinking about upgrading to a tuned stainless system at some point anyway (need some more noise!) but if this happens i figured i may aswell replace it now.

Im not sure about the legalities in terms of de-cating and alot of people have mentioned cherry bomb silencers but tbh im not entirely sure what they are!

Any one have any advice on what is legal/ not legal and any recomendations on what to get!?

I already have a quote from stainless creations for a custom one at about ?400 and from what ive heard they are really good but if its an mot failure im going to need to get it back on the road asap and cant really afford to wait for an exhaust to be made.

Many thanks

Ally
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

rangerovering

Re: V8 Exhausts!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:00:24 PM »
Rimmer Bros. stainless exhausts are good (I have one), sound nice but not daft and irritating. Come in at about ?500 or thereabouts.
Steve

aqms987

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 10:46:50 PM »
For MOT purposes the fail would be for excessive emmissions. I had my TD5 tested prior to changing the down pipe for a "straight through" pipe ie removing the "Cat". The reading was .7, I had it re-tested after the change & the reading was 1.3 (the legal limit is 3 for a turbo engine) ie less than half the legal maximum. There is no MOT requirement for a Cat to be fitted.

bertracoon1616

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »
Right!

As i suspected, failed on exhaust (really bad leaks) so im thinking about replacing the whole lot!

I have found a good system on rimmer bros but i will need new cats as it is a 95 and its done 100K so i really doubt it will pass emissions without them! Ive found a full Y pipe with cats on e-bay with cats for ?130

Any one have any other suggestions? Also looking at Janspeed.

Cheers

Ally
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
what is wrong with resetting the engine after you have changed the exhaust

rangerovering

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 06:23:45 PM »
Just remembered, Stu has a Janspeed he took off his Classic and fitted another system. Certainly sounded good! He might sell it to you. Janspeed are expensive though, and the manifolds are not the best performance wise.

Hedman Headers are the way to go, big bore, big power and sensible price! Real Steel sell them.

Steve

Mikey

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 08:52:22 PM »
Hiya,

In the process of putting a Double-S stainless sports system on my Rangie, all good except they don't supply the olive you need to join the short extension pipe required to make the 3.9 SE exhaust become a 4.2 LSE exhaust.
Two hours of driving round Dundee to find one that fitted from an exhaust fitters. Not too clever after paying best part of ?500 for it.

Mike.
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.