Historic Vehicle - MOT nonsense

· 15 · 2599

CBRCBR

Historic Vehicle - MOT nonsense
« on: September 07, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »
Has anyone else picked up on the nonsense that is being consulted upon, as shown in the following?:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2199311/Millions-modified-classic-cars-banned-roads-meddling-European-Union-try-shake-MOT-rules.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Not sure who is being consulted, but should clubs such as ourselves be part of the consultation.

If I am reading it right, any vehicle over 30 years old (rolling 30 years) that is not standard would fail an MOT. With my series III just about to hit 40 years old, and currently reasonaby standard, I might be okay.  But my plans of a 200di conversion (to make it more useable) would go out the window.

I know of many vehicles in the club that would have be taken off the road.

Any thoughts - particularly on how the club might be able to respond?

Cheers, Clive
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:16:53 PM by CBRCBR »

scottydj2

• Name: Scott Ling
Re: Historic Vehicle - MOT nonsense
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »
There's also an ePetition for this:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37784

Cheers

Scott
Scott Ling, Vulture 19, MM0SPL

agmech 53

• Name: Jim Wilson
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:01:50 PM »
They've already tried this with bikes, essentially the same idea, any kind of mod or upgrade would be illegal.

corvettedave

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
I cant quite believe this, ive got a old corvette which I have upgraded, ie better braking system, steering rack, suspension, and fuel injection system, all of which makes the car safer and more environmentally friendly, so madness still prevails with the goverment!

dave

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »
I'm not sure that the Daily Wail and others have got the right end of the stick. Over in Yurup they are getting in a tailspin about having more regular MOTs and the introduction of MOTs for motorbikes - evidently thats not the current situation in some places...

The way I read the actual EU doc was that vehicles would have to meet or exceed the safety and emissions standards in place when they were built - not be totally unmodified. That would fail just about every car on the road not using OEM brake shoes, wiper blades.......

More interesting is that it also includes a requirement to test Trailers.

The consultation phase was 2 years ago BTW and none of our "umbrella" motoring organisations seem to have spotted it, too busy pissing about worrying about the nif-naf and trivia of racing...... 

Emailed one of our Scottish MEPs who sits on the Transport committee two weeks ago. No reply as yet.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:07:31 PM by genem »
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

CBRCBR

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 02:21:38 PM »
The following is lifted straight out of LRO October 2012, page 18.

Modified Land Rovers to be Outlawed

“Modified Land Rovers are to be banned in Europe.  Well, that’s if European Union gets its way, at least. 
Proposals have been made to standardise tests of roadworthiness across Europe, with the plans defining the test as a verification that components of a vehicle comply with its characteristics at the time of first registration.  This will mean most modified Land Rovers won’t be road legal in the EU.  The document suggests that historic vehicles, manufactured at least 30 years ago, will be exempt from the ruling but only if they retain their original components, including engine.  Bye-bye, Tdi conversions.
A read through the fledgling document reveals some ambiguous wording.  It would appear that a Land Rover can be modified, so long as it uses Type Approved parts, and accessories that were available on the original options list.  So there’s no need to panic just yet...”

From the above article, it would still appear as though there might be an issue for many.

genem

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »
Rather than rely on journalists for an interpretation try reading the source document. 

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/doc/roadworthiness-package/com(2012)380.pdf

Theres about one line on vehicle standards and a LOT more on haviong qualified MOT testers, regularity of testing etc. I really don't think its aimed at modifications at all.

...and its not even been considered by the Transport Committee yet.

Edited to say... Better yet - Found this on the Series 2 Forum - 

The EU Commission is writing to all the papers spreading this nonsense telling them to check their facts BEFORE printing.

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/press-reports-on-ec-proposals-on-mot-tests-are-incorrect/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:57:16 PM by genem »

CBRCBR

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »
Thanks for your investigations and clarifying - nothing to worry about then

genem

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 02:10:38 PM »
.... nothing to worry about then

I'd not go that far... there is still a bit in there about testing trailers thats not been mentioned very much. Personally I'd be inconvenienced by that as I've got 3-4 about the place but given the number of one-wheeled trailers you see in lay-bys is it really that daft an idea ?

G.

aqms987

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 10:06:47 PM »
I have personally inspected numerous seriously defective trailers, some post collision, others in spot checks accompanied by the Police.
 The state of some of these trailers & their hitches was frightening, some of these incidents resulted in fatal injuries being inflicted on innocent road users.  To compound the issue some of these trailers had obviously been built or maintained? by "Fred in the Shed".
 I have inspected trailers with suspension tied up with rope or straps and some with brakes (if fitted) in a shocking condition. This applied not only to light trailers but also to agricultural trailers which, if anything, are worse. Some of these cases resulted in court cases with convictions following.  One should also remember that a "Failure to maintain" conviction can invalidate one's insurance.
 Anyone with a properly built, well maintained trailer has nothing to fear from Annual Testing for trailers, if your's does not meet the standards I suggest you rectify that now & do not wait for the Police to knock on your door, you will find the court can be a very lonely place.

R110KSS

• Name: Mark Reid
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »
So basically these euro rules mean you can't express yourself with the car you drive? Don't think that will work!
I drive commercials and at present it's a Utility Wagon Defender and to me most cars look the same. Focus/Astra/Civic all look like boxes on wheels. 100 meters away they look the same.

I think the people behind these proposed EU rules (the motor industry) would like to live in a world that we buy/hire a Eurobox for 4-5 years and at the end of contract its recycled and you get a fresh new eurobox. How boring would that be!

Total nonsenses even the Romans used to bling up there chariots!!! 
Find me on Facebook

pluscab

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »
R110KSS did you not read the ;link that Genem put up. It reads:

"Reports in the press that the European Commission has proposed to make modifications to cars illegal, or to ban classic cars unless they are unchanged since manufacture are entirely wrong.
The Commission’s proposals would not, if agreed by the Member States and the European Parliament, make any difference to the current situation regarding MOT testing in the UK except to make most classic cars more than 30 years old exempt from testing if they are not used day-to-day on the roads.
All other cars would remain subject to roadworthiness testing, just as they are now. Whether or not they have been modified is not of itself relevant: what counts is whether they are safe and that is what is assessed by MOT tests in the UK and by the equivalent tests elsewhere.
What the proposals will do is require all Member States to bring their road worthiness tests up to a certain level of rigour, already applied in the UK : for example, motorbikes will need to be tested regularly everywhere, as they are already in the UK. This will make driving safer for UK drivers at home and abroad.
The Commission is writing separately to all the newspapers concerned, none of which checked the facts with us before publication. "

Sounds like it's from the horse's mouth to me

R110KSS

• Name: Mark Reid
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 01:33:49 PM »
At work did not have time to read all the tread. Phewwww! Lol 

R110KSS did you not read the ;link that Genem put up. It reads:

"Reports in the press that the European Commission has proposed to make modifications to cars illegal, or to ban classic cars unless they are unchanged since manufacture are entirely wrong.
The Commission’s proposals would not, if agreed by the Member States and the European Parliament, make any difference to the current situation regarding MOT testing in the UK except to make most classic cars more than 30 years old exempt from testing if they are not used day-to-day on the roads.
All other cars would remain subject to roadworthiness testing, just as they are now. Whether or not they have been modified is not of itself relevant: what counts is whether they are safe and that is what is assessed by MOT tests in the UK and by the equivalent tests elsewhere.
What the proposals will do is require all Member States to bring their road worthiness tests up to a certain level of rigour, already applied in the UK : for example, motorbikes will need to be tested regularly everywhere, as they are already in the UK. This will make driving safer for UK drivers at home and abroad.
The Commission is writing separately to all the newspapers concerned, none of which checked the facts with us before publication. "

Sounds like it's from the horse's mouth to me
Find me on Facebook

Graham

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »
If you read the actual proposal (I did) you'll find that what is proposed is that unmodified vehicles over 30 years old should be exempt from MOT testing, and modified vehicles should still require an MOT much like at present.

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
I see in this months Land rover Owner International mag they are sprouting the same s***e.
She said at my age I need something else to play with