Transmission brake - what am I missing????

· 7 · 1621

Dave T

Transmission brake - what am I missing????
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:01:11 AM »
Drove home just fine last night, high range diff lock off and parked at home and transmission brake held just fine, on a slope. Gave it a good wash and parked in my normal space and transmission brake isn't holding anything if I leave diff lock off but will hold with diff lock on. It will still drive with diff lock off so surely can't be a half shaft problem.

Its got me a little confused or am I missing somehting really basic here?
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Dave T

Re: Transmission brake - what am I missing????
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:18:33 PM »
Had a quick look this afternoon after work. With diff lock off and idling in gear whilst stationary the rear prop shaft is rotating slowly so problem must be back end. Took rear half shafts out and they looked ok so I'm thinking must be rear diff away.

It's just strange that it drove fine all the way home without diff lock, spookily similar to my first mud master.  :o
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Scott110

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
 :-\ Does sound a weird one. In theory the rear propshaft should only have movement so far befor the slack is taken up through the diff. If its keeps turning there is deffinatly something up with the diff/ driveshafts/gearbox. You might have already checked but look at the splines on the driveshaft. Then work your way backwards through the diff , propshaft splines, then transfer box , gearbox. Slight snagging can happen in your clutch this can make transmission creep but only till the slack is taken up.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:22:21 AM »
are the drive flanges (wheel end) ok ?

i have heard they can wear out and go  ;)
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

Dave T

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:58:19 AM »
The rear prop shaft was turning continuously with the car stationary. I did quickly take the drive shafts out, they were intact and (I think) the splines looked ok, I had seen the wear that can happen on an old one and the flanges were fine. If it doesn't start raining I may get the diff out tonight and see whats in there, although there wer no nasty noises or anything at all.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

stage recovery

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »
Sounds like the planet gears or cross shaft in the diff centre have broken, usually caused by lots of wheel spinning !

Dave T

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:02:16 PM »
Sounds like the planet gears or cross shaft in the diff centre have broken, usually caused by lots of wheel spinning !

Completely right! There may have been a bit of spinning wheels on Sunday........... was a great day out

Just got the diff out this evening and this is what I found, the half shafts must have been holding it together until I took them out last night. This of course led to more problems when I tried to put it in the drive, it all siezed up and I ended up in the middle of the road taking off the rear prop sghaft and half shafts, not mr popular!

1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite