a nice easy question!!

· 6 · 1987

elegia

a nice easy question!!
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:07:03 PM »
Hi All,

I was just about to give my (new to me) Defender the usual service stuff, oil/ filter changes etc, when I stumbled at the first hurdle. Lying under the vehicle to undo the sump plug - which was much bigger than I expect and bigger than any of my sockets  :o . I thought I'd give the old adjustable spanner a go, but it was on so tight I doubt that even Geoff Capes could have loosened it up.

It's a 1993 (K reg) Defender 90, 200Tdi. My biggest metric socket is 27mm and largest imperial is 1", both far too small, it looks about 30mm or so. Does anyone know the size of the beast?

Many thanks.

piper5

Re: a nice easy question!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:49:44 PM »
i think its 30mm or whatever the imperial eqivalent is

coolcamper55

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »
I had the same problem getting mine off, eventually I had to drill out the centre and with only a few mm of bolt left put a large adjustable wrench on it plus a bar on the wrench and collapsed it in.

All because the plonka who did it before me forgot to put the copper washer in and with that missing kept tightening it up to try and stop it leaking oil.

Can't help on the socket size as mine being a TD5.

Suggest before you take it off you get the new copper washer and sump plug, they are not expensive but you will need to have an easier task when the next service comes around. Alos make sure all the threads are clean and torque it to the right settings.

Good Luck,

T

pepsimax

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:47:50 PM »
Suggestion;  if you need to buy a socket, Halfords Pro series are reasonably priced and good quality and  are sold individually
The only difference between men and boys, is of course the price of their toys !

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:10:12 PM »
Suggestion;  if you need to buy a socket, Halfords Pro series are reasonably priced and good quality and  are sold individually

OR

Go to your nearest Cromwell tools to get the socket, I use the "Kennedy pro" range and have found them some of the best tools I have used + they will be less than half the price of Halfords. I do have some old Halfords pro tools and I also find them excelent quality.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

elegia

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »
Thanks for all the replies thus far -- much appreciated. I've bought halford's individual sockets before (and they are good), but I've never heard of Cromwell tools --> time for a bit of googling  :D