Scrutineering.

· 5 · 1259

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Scrutineering.
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »
Thanks to the scrutineers at Callander this weekend !  Alan spotted that the nut on the base of my steering drop arm was loose, despite being held with lock-tabs. Not something I've have been able to spot because you need someone to shuggle the steering.

Anyway, a big socket and the 3ft tommy bar put almost an extra turn on the nut, so it was more than a bit loose - a replacement steering box was fitted during the rebuild, so I'm guessing the beasty was not torqued up properly then or has worked loose since.

A result anyway, Its safer and the steering has a bit less slop.

Thanks again Alan !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Alan A

• Name: Alan Agnew
Re: Scrutineering.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:10:34 PM »
Considering drop arms are usually seized solid to the steering box shaft, it was a bit unusual to find yours and three others rattling about at Sunday mornings scrutineering!
Hope the others remembered to get them tightened up too!

coolcamper55

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:42:24 PM »
I think the new steering box fitting was the culprit, I thought that I had torqued mine up when I changed my steering box in November 2009
I did exactly the same and it was scrutineering that picked it up for me. It was at the boxing day bash in 2009, I think it was Bobby who spotted it. May be a quirk that it needs to be retightened after a few miles

T

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »
On a similar note the MOT showed up one of the track rod ends was not tightly fastened to the drag link on my motor. Suspecting a worn clamp anor tube but the track rod was replaced in August. Worth going round and checking these things with a helper as again you wouldn't know without the steering wheel being wobbled.
Steve

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:35:15 AM »
We also spotted someone with a funny hub: the wheel-nuts were all fully down on 3 wheels, but on the forth the nut was proud of the stud by 3 or 4mm. Not much, but definitely not right: the thread should be flush with the stud, or even protrude by a thread or two.