Waxoyl gun

· 12 · 3748

NIJ

• Name: Nigel Kelly
Waxoyl gun
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »
I bought a large can of Waxoyl and also the pressure pump sprayer tub kit complete in Halfords.  I expected the well warmed waxoyl to actually spay the insides of my chassis, but it just flows out of the tube end and lies at bottom of frame member.  Very disappointing, turning the wee screw made no apparent difference.
Can anyone please suggest a suitable compressed air diy spray gun and a probe that's not too extortionate?
Nigel
Nigel

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
Re: Waxoyl gun
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »
hi nigel
the set up you have is usualy fine just heat waxoil till it is like water , place can in a bucket of boiling water to stop it from cooling to fast , wear a thick jacket, full face visor and leather welding gauntlets. once you start dont stop or it cools quickly in pipe . i usually do this on a hot summers day so the chassis is dry inside so its not the best time on year to do this.
hope this helps shug...

NIJ

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:45 PM »
Thanks, Shug.  Chassis is dry, car been off road in cold garage in bits or months!  Waxoyl was in bucket of v hot water, not boiling though. Would a metal bucket on a wee stove make that much difference?  Still feel airline sprayer would be more effective. N
Nigel

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »
hi nigel where are you based i have a compressor you can use if that helps.

cheers Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

geoff

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:21:24 PM »
Hi,

I bought a kit from frost, its very good. I didn't have much luck with the halfords kit either.
I recently bought another gun that I haven't used yet. I cant remember where I got it. It might be frost too. I posted a pic on here of the spray pattern it gives, i'll try to find it.

Geoff

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:11:43 AM »
Hi,
You will need an ambient temperature or not less than 12C (good luck with that!) and probably a lot more. Like Shug, I've only ever done it on scorching summer days.
Machine Mart has the gun - http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cub1-underbody-seal-gun?da=1&TC=SRC-shutz+gun for £16.

You can thin waxoyl or dinitrol with white spirits... which tells you all you need to know about flammability and the need to ventilate properly. It's an outside job, really.

Hope this helps! 

K

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »
Thanks, Shug.  Chassis is dry, car been off road in cold garage in bits or months!  Waxoyl was in bucket of v hot water, not boiling though. Would a metal bucket on a wee stove make that much difference?  Still feel airline sprayer would be more effective. N

I put mine in a big pan of hot water, and then sat it on the camp stove. Make sure it has all melted to the viscosity of water before you start. Only time I had problems was if i stopped and the wax in the lance went solid. Put it in the water and all comes back to life.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

NIJ

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have a compressor now, thanks, Bill.  Needed it for spring shackles.
Didn't know about Frost, Geoff, looks a good w/site but didn't see a suitable air gun.
Machine Mart is handy for me, Kathy, it's their compressor I bought.  Maybe their gun is the answer as I see it has a nozzle with several outlet holes . 
Just thought I should try to do it before it goes back on the road and gets all wet & mucky again.
Some better weather would help.  Been brush painting smaller parts inside the house, still to tackle the new passenger door!

Thanks again, Nigel

PS Cheers, Ruari.  I might even fit that nice breather hose!

Nigel

Malc

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 08:03:58 PM »
I bought a sealy SG16 gun which works very well with the waxoyl cold but slightly thinned with white spirit. I also found a manufacturer of 7mm LDPE (Low Density Poly Ethylene for the boffins) tube who was selling off some cheap. This is the stuff they make the flexible tube nozzle out of for this gun (and probably most others), so I've now got a metre long flex nozzle which reaches right up the chassis legs. If anyone wants a bit to make themselves a longer nozzle let me know.
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

NIJ

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »
Hi Guys.  An update.  I thinned  the waxoyl a bit with white spirit and sat it on the stove in boiling water for nearly an hour.  It worked a treat, probably too well, the stuff went everywhere!  Thanks again, Nigel.
Nigel

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »

its good to hear you got it done but i bet the house is a bit smelly now  ;D. hope you did it while swmbo was out  :o.

NIJ

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »
Yes, I got away with that, she was out.  However swmbo was less pleased about painting parts in the house due to weather. N
Nigel