2.7 td v6 engine - information wanted

· 10 · 3622

DRH

2.7 td v6 engine - information wanted
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:17:04 PM »
I'm looking for some information on this engine which is fitted in my S Type Jag and Discovery 3's

The symptoms are that the car's suffering from a flat spot when under load and there's a fair bit of smoke coming out the back at the same time.

It then clears itself and drives normally.  This morning it really struggled all the way through a 10 mile journey to work.  Every time I came to a junction, it really struggled to pick itself up, let some smoke go then cleared itself and would run on until the next time I slowed down.

When I first started it this morning the weather was cold and the engine was hunting a bit. On the way home tonight, it struggled a bit to begin with but after quarter of a mile, it cleared itself and ran all the way home without any problem.

Before I try the Jag forums, I'm hoping someone on this forum may have had a similar problem with their D3 with the same engine and can shed some light on it  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Duncan

There;s not management lights on 

pitcaig

• SLROC Member no.2152
Re: 2.7 td v6 engine - information wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »
Hi Duncan

That sounds exactly like Lynn's disco when the EGR valves went. If it is I think you could just blank them off on your car. If its the same as early disco's I think a 2p is the right size to fit in between the pipe work. But just check that first.

Graeme

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
Got some for a TD5 ........... yet to fit, but arrived ok and look the part

http://www.grahambethell.com/apps/webstore/
1983 110 V8. RIP

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »
Does sound like EGR symptoms - have a look at Disco3.co.uk for some excellent advice on D3s - Disco Mikey has a detailed illustrated article on there about how to blank EGRs - see http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31658.html
Hope that helps, Alan

DRH

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:17:22 PM »
Thanks Guys

This information's useful.   Graeme, from recollection you replaced the faulty valve rather than blanking it off.  How did you identify which one was faulty or dod you do both

I'm also presuming from the articles Alan pointed me in the direction of that you can blank off the EGR valves at the pipes while still leaving the valve in place.  I suppose if the situation improves, then at least it identifies if there is and EGR fault, and if so, which one.

It's due a timing belt, so at least it's hapened when some of the engine work is needing done.  Brilliant engine though

Duncan

Dave T

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:01:00 AM »
whether you can blank it or not will depend on year, with the D3 there is no warning light involved, but once you get to about 07 then it has electronics attached and a warning light.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

DRH

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 09:47:22 AM »
Might be ok on this car as iut's a 54 plate.  It's worth a try

BrianT

• Name: Brian Templeton
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »
Yep,

You can blank the EGR's on a 54 plate no problem,kits are available from Bell Auto's  here:- http://bellautoservices.co.uk/products/landrover-egr-blanking-kits/tdv6-egr-blanking-kit/

As mentioned above,if its a MY08 onwards there is a SW issue with blanking.

BrianT.
Discovery 3
MM6BXT

pitcaig

• SLROC Member no.2152
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:15:29 PM »
Hi Duncan

Lynn's car is an 08 MY so I just replaced both to be sure. I got a good deal on the valves got 2 for the same price as Morrisons wanted for 1.

Thanks Guys

This information's useful.   Graeme, from recollection you replaced the faulty valve rather than blanking it off.  How did you identify which one was faulty or dod you do both

I'm also presuming from the articles Alan pointed me in the direction of that you can blank off the EGR valves at the pipes while still leaving the valve in place.  I suppose if the situation improves, then at least it identifies if there is and EGR fault, and if so, which one.

It's due a timing belt, so at least it's hapened when some of the engine work is needing done.  Brilliant engine though

Duncan

DRH

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 09:39:16 PM »
Well blanking off the EGR valves seemed to have cured the problem.  Not sure about the fuel consumption, but what a difference blanking them off and removing the pipes made to the performance. 

Even before the fault appeared, it was always hesitant when pulling away, but it's a lot more crisp now and so much more mid range pull.

Not sure if the Jag's got a different set up from the D3 because I was able to work from the top side of the engine with easy access to the pipes on the top side of the EGR valves.  Some pics I saw when researching the job looked aa though the pipes came down the front end of the engine then underneath.   Blanks at less than £20 were a lot more pleasant than 2 EDR valves at between £300 and £400

Thanks again for the help pin pointing it.

Duncan